The Global Archicad Community

Stay informed. Get help. Share your knowledge.

Modeling (Wall, Door, Window, Roof, Stair...), Favorites...

Moderators: ejrolon, Barry Kelly, Karl Ottenstein, LaszloNagy, gkmethy

What's your opinion about this wish?

Essential (5)
85%
Important (4)
13%
Average (3)
1%
Not important (2)
0%
Not needed (1)
No votes
0%
By s2art
It appears to me that in AC17 (image below) beams which do not occupy the same vertical space (ie. one is fully under the other as in floor joist / bearer situation) don't intersect (clean up), but if they have any overlap in the vertical space they do clean up with each other. STILL NO COVER FILL THOUGH!

Same situation in AC16 (which I am working in) and they always clean up with each other if they touch, (top of bearer + bottom of joist) but not if there is separation (as little as 1mm)

Is this correct?
Attachments
Screen shot 2013-11-21 at 11.40.02 AM.png
By Barry Kelly
Yes two beams that touch in 3D are considered now to 'collide' and therefore will appear as one in 2D.
Barry.
By s2art
Barry Kelly wrote:Yes two beams that touch in 3D are considered now to 'collide' and therefore will appear as one in 2D.
Barry.
I think it is the other way in 17 Barry. If they touch but don't overlap at all they are shown not to merge together, in 16 they did merge.

My point, though not well expressed, was that the behaviour of beams has been changed, but still no cover fills. :roll:
By Barry Kelly
Sorry I should have enlarged you image.
Beams with top and bottom 'touching' will still appear as separate beams in plan.
As soon as there is any overlap then they will 'collide' and become one in plan.

Personally I think they should only do this only when they have the same strength (building material) and the top surfaces are level with each other.
Otherwise one beam should always have priority over the other.

And surely it can't be too hard to add a cover fill which would also solve the plan problem.

Barry.
By s2art
Barry Kelly wrote:...Personally I think they should only do this only when they have the same strength (building material) and the top surfaces are level with each other.
Otherwise one beam should always have priority over the other.

And surely it can't be too hard to add a cover fill which would also solve the plan problem.

Barry.
I agree. With all of the above. Especially the last bit.
By dv_chris
Seven years.
Over 100 votes, which presumably represents a much larger number of people experiencing the actual problem.
Our friends at Graphisoft never actually read these wishes.... do they?
By Tim Tessier
I've been using Archicad for more than 15 years. I wholeheartedly support this request. It's a fundamental problem that beams do not have the same display features as the majority of other tools. Reflected ceiling plans are extremely difficult without being able to use fills in beams.