The Global ARCHICAD Community

Stay informed. Get help. Share your knowledge.

Modeling (Wall, Door, Window, Roof, Stair...), Favorites...

Moderators: Karl Ottenstein, LaszloNagy, ejrolon, Barry Kelly, gkmethy

How important would it be to you to have a Roof Tool option to clip the bottom edge of a roof?

Very Important and will make my life easier
50%
I can see how it would be helpful to to include as an option and should be included if it does not hinder my current use of the Roof Tool
13%
Not a priority for me in the list of wishes
38%
Not a needed
No votes
0%
By 4hotshoes
I have asked for this once before, but it was not as clear of a request as I am asking now.

I would like the Roof Tool to have the option to clip the bottom edge of the overhanging eave of a plumb cut edge. As it is now the the side roof edge (Rake) is the thickness of the roof slab, but the bottom edge of the slope on a plumb cut is significantly thicker on the face on steeper slopes. I would like that face to be adjustable by clipping. See attachment
Attachments
Screen Shot 2019-12-07 at 8.21.44 PM.png
By Barry Kelly
This would be a nice option, but can easily be done with a slab at the correct height and a Solid Element Operation.

Also if this roof is being used to represent the timber framing then I would use rafter objects that can include this option and use the roof tool just for the cladding (or again SEO the rafter ends).
Or now in 23 you can create a segmented beam that is quite easy to control the end cut like this so you don't need special rafter objects or SEO.

But if it is the roof you want like this then at the moment SEO is the only option.

Barry.
By 4hotshoes
I have some very complex roofs and using a slab at every eave to clip the bottom would be a lot of work hat I could be avoided if this feature was part of the tool.
By Lingwisyer
Barry Kelly wrote:Or now in 23 you can create a segmented beam that is quite easy to control the end cut like this so you don't need special rafter objects or SEO.

How do you do that? I do not see any options to do a square end. Nor a way to do an end segment that is not an extrusion along the beams axis.

Ling.
By Barry Kelly
Lingwisyer wrote:
Mon Dec 09, 2019 2:47 am
How do you do that? I do not see any options to do a square end. Nor a way to do an end segment that is not an extrusion along the beams axis.

The ends of a segment can be different sizes when set to tapered.
Create a segmented beam with the axis (baseline) at the top.
Add a tapered segment to the end and adjust the position of the break to match the point you want to trim the base at.
Then adjust the height of the end.

Barry.
Attachments
segmented_beam.jpg
By Lingwisyer
Ah, right. The new Beam tool has an Edit function. Not the most user friendly to get a defined size...

Now they just need to add the ability to do this, or the inverse:
rafter.jpg
By Braza
Lingwisyer wrote:Now they just need to add the ability to do this, or the inverse

I'm not using AC23 yet, but I'm pretty sure the renovated beam tool can do this... I'd create a section with a lateral view of the beam; Draw the end profile in 2d lines and arcs; "Slice" the beam with custom segments (as needed to the resolution of the arcs); edit each node to match the profile.

It would be nice if someone could try this.

Cheers,

Paulo
By Ghaleb Khadra
Hi All,

Thank you very much for creating this poll, and for those of you who voted to voice their opinion.

Even though there are possible workaround for this, we can still wish for something integrated rather than a workaround based process. :wink:
I am happy to say we took notice and I have added this into our WishList (please refer to it in the future as Wish #12562), and hopefully our Product Management team will adopt this one in the future.

[Stay Active. Stay Awesome! :wink:]
Thank you all once more, and I wish you a great day!

Kind regards,
Ghaleb
By Lingwisyer
rafter.jpg
End Size

Though integrating into the Beam Tool would probably be over complicating things.