The Global ARCHICAD Community

Stay informed. Get help. Share your knowledge.

Modeling (Wall, Door, Window, Roof, Stair...), Favorites...

Moderators: ejrolon, Barry Kelly, Karl Ottenstein, LaszloNagy, gkmethy

WHAT'S YOUR OPINION ABOUT THIS WISH?

Essential (5)
47%
Important (4)
27%
Average (3)
27%
Not important (2)
No votes
0%
Not needed (1)
No votes
0%
1). Yes, I guess it can get a bit involved, but at least it gives users a non-GDL solution.
2). Not sure if there is any performance hit, I haven’t noticed one, but I have not used segmented columns and beams intensively.
3). Not quite sure what you mean here. For columns, the vertical can be adjusted with the segment height and the horizontal can be adjusted with the taper widths and modifiers in the complex profiles.

Barry.
By Braza
Barry Kelly wrote:3). Not quite sure what you mean here. For columns, the vertical can be adjusted with the segment height and the horizontal can be adjusted with the taper widths and modifiers in the complex profiles.
I meant if one need to for example: Make the horizontal hexagonal bar tilted with the horizontal. :?:
Braza wrote:
Thu Feb 27, 2020 4:56 pm
I meant if one need to for example: Make the horizontal hexagonal bar tilted with the horizontal. :?:
No, that can't be done.
Something like that would need to be modelled separately.
Even in this example I think I would model the horizontal handle as a separate beam.

Barry.
Barry Kelly wrote:
Braza wrote:
Thu Feb 27, 2020 4:56 pm
No, that can't be done.
Something like that would need to be modelled separately.
Even in this example I think I would model the horizontal handle as a separate beam.

Barry.
So I think it is still a good wish. Especially with unordinary or classic column. In my opinion, the main problem is when you add a gdl as a segment you will lose most of options of column .
For a local demo here, I made a few other examples of what can be done with the Modifiers and Segmented Columns. You can slant geometry if you use a Modifier to move edges between top/bottom of a segment. But I'd agree that using a small Beam (which can now be round) in the example above would be simpler.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2020-02-28 at 3.09.46 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-02-28 at 3.09.32 PM.png
By Braza
Thanks James. Really nice examples!
This new column/beam features look very promising.
Could you tell us if there is any significant decrease of AC performance due to extensive use of this capability?
Braza wrote:
Fri Feb 28, 2020 7:15 pm
Could you tell us if there is any significant decrease of AC performance due to extensive use of this capability?
You’re welcome, I’m only aware that more complex geometry results in more polygons so keep that in mind. Also, if the geometry is too complex, then the projected 2D appearance can be slow - which is a reason we don’t project all elements. Symbolic 2D is inherently much faster to draw than getting the 2D from the 3D.