The Global Archicad Community

Stay informed. Get help. Share your knowledge.

Any 2D tool what you need for drafting.

Moderators: Karl Ottenstein, LaszloNagy, ejrolon, Barry Kelly, Gordana Radonic, nbalogh, mnguyen, gkmethy

What is your opinion about this Wish?

Essential
75%
Important
13%
Average
13%
Not Important
No votes
0%
Not Needed
No votes
0%
By runxel
Something really obvious, so obvious even, it should be classified rather as a bug than a wish:
The magic wand currently doesn't know what a column is.

Try to magic wand a fill into a room which has a column in one of the walls.
The fill will flow out of the room... :roll:
Hi runxel,

Thank you very much for the request!

To help me understand it correctly, could you share some screenshots of the situation you are having? With 4 walls and a column inside one of the wall, the magic wand still recognizes a correct fill boundary in my test.

Looking forward to hearing from you!

Best regards,
Minh
Sure, Minh!
I had a situation similar to this one. In blue the fill I want.
As you can see the column doesn't get recognized by the magic wand. :cry:
col.png
col.png (34.6 KiB) Viewed 252 times
runxel wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 3:10 pm Sure, Minh!
I had a situation similar to this one. In blue the fill I want.
As you can see the column doesn't get recognized by the magic wand. :cry:

col.png
I think it should be an on/off option, not wanting the columns to be considered could be something!
vdentello wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 6:44 pm I think it should be an on/off option, not wanting the columns to be considered could be something!
Yeah, it could be, but certainly not by me :P

Foremost I want my tools to behave, and in the moment they don't. If things don't adhere to standards then there is only chaos.
Dear All,

Thank you very much for sharing your thoughts on this wish!

I tested with all construction tools and came to a conclusion: the contour from certain tools can become fill's boundary, while others cannot:

What works as a zone/fill boundary (these do not necessary be in the same plane - only their visible contour in 2D will be enough)
- Wall
- Slab
- Beam
- Curtain wall
- Mesh
- Morph
- Roof
- Shell
What does not work as a zone/fill boundary:
- Column
- Object
- Railing
- Stair

This, I entered a wish (#13028) for better contour detection for Magic Wand.
Thank you once again for sharing the wish! I hope our Product Management team will adopt it soon!

Have a great day!

Best regards,
Minh

p/s: certainly 2D elements can also be the fill's boundary in this case, thus, drawing a line can be an (ugly) workaround sometimes.
mnguyen wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 1:04 pm What does not work as a zone/fill boundary:
- Column
- Object
- Railing
- Stair
Spot the obvious odd one out, the other three I wouldn't expect to form part of a boundary for the magic wand.
By mbl
It also bugs me that there is no plan-intersection that you can snap to between an edge of a Column and any other 2D/3D element.

Say you have a wall and a column and they do intersect at certain points, but you can't snap to the intersection in plan.

That was one of the first things that I found disturbing when I started working in Archicad 10 years ago and I still can't understand why is it like that... But I guess this "bug" is also why the Magic Wand has no effect on Columns.