The Global Archicad Community

Stay informed. Get help. Share your knowledge.

Any 2D tool what you need for drafting.

Moderators: Karl Ottenstein, LaszloNagy, ejrolon, Barry Kelly, Gordana Radonic, nbalogh, mnguyen, gkmethy

What's your opinion about this wish?

Essential (5)
17%
Important (4)
26%
Average (3)
13%
Not important (2)
4%
Not needed (1)
39%
By johncassel
Please consider adding a dot tool. ArchiCAD seems to lack a simple way to draw a filled in dot. It seems like a simple thing but I would use it all of the time.
Thank you,
John
By Dave Jochum
johncassel wrote:Please consider adding a dot tool. It seems like a simple thing but I would use it all of the time.
Could you give some examples of how you would use this?
By johncassel
Yesterday, I would have used the dot tool to draw rebar on a footing drawing and draw the nail heads on a joist hanger. I know that there are objects that are rebar and a wonderful library of joist hangers but sometimes it is easier and quicker to draw them rather than use the library part.
There will probably be some point today where I will want to click a dot rather than draw a circle and then fill it in.

This wish is not as vital as László's suggested customizable right click menu. Nonetheless the dot tool would be handy.

Aloha,
John
By Karl Ottenstein
Hi John,

Why a tool and not just an object? Don't understand how a tool would be faster.

For example (US library only): MSA Library \ MSA Connectors \ MSA_Rebar

HTH,
Karl
By johncassel
Karl,
It's probably just that I am used to having a dot tool in another modeling/drafting package. To me it seems like the one type of drawn 2d drawing tool that is missing from ArchiCAD.

In some programs the library parts take longer to load, store, save than vector elements. This used to be a big deal as models and drawings got larger. It doesn't seem like as big a deal now especially as ArchiCAD is so library part intensive. In the past I learned to be cautious about creating library parts were a 2d vector element would do. If this is not an issue then it leaves the debate to which is handier, a tool or an object.

If no one else wants the dot then I'll go on using an object saved to my favorites.

Thank you,
John
By Geoff Briggs
When moving to AC I was surprised at the lack of a filled polygon. I know about the magic wand work around but it would be an easy addition to the fill tool to have a regular polygon choice in the info box with a place to enter the number of sides. Entering "1" would yield a circle aka dot.
By johncassel
Yeah, what Geoff said. That sounds good to me.
john
By Geoff Briggs
When you think about it this could be an enhancement to the rectangle geometry selection already part of the fill tool. Just hold down shift for regular polygon. This way we'd also get an elipse if we entered 1 for sides and then pulled out a rectanglur bounding box.

I can't believe people don't think this would be a useful addition.
By Matthew Lohden
Geoff Briggs wrote:When you think about it this could be an enhancement to the rectangle geometry selection already part of the fill tool. Just hold down shift for regular polygon. This way we'd also get an elipse if we entered 1 for sides and then pulled out a rectanglur bounding box.

I can't believe people don't think this would be a useful addition.
Now you're getting me interested. A tool setting for regular polygons (i.e. poly-lines, fills, roofs, slabs) would be very nice. It would sure beat rotating copies.

If the "dot" tool includes this function then I'll rate it important.
By James Murray
The dot wish could be addressed with the addition of a center-first circle option on the polyline palette.

As Djordje pointed out while discussing holes in fills, it is possible to draw a circle via the palette, but only starting with the edge. This is not the natural way to draw a circle.

You wouldn't even need an additional button: If you chose the existing arc-around-centerpoint button right after starting your polyline, the point would become a center rather than an edge. In mid-polyline, the button could act as it does now.