The Global ARCHICAD Community

Stay informed. Get help. Share your knowledge.

Any 2D tool what you need for drafting.

Moderators: Barry Kelly, Karl Ottenstein, LaszloNagy, ejrolon, gkmethy

What's your opinion about this wish?

Essential (5)
64%
Important (4)
12%
Average (3)
3%
Not important (2)
6%
Not needed (1)
15%
By Gus
If one has never used Autocad they have never experienced this feature. Therefore they have no ability to judge whether it's important to have or not.

Even if an expert on Archicad can do the same thing in different ways just as fast (which I doubt they can) it should still be in the program as a preference that one can turn on or not turn on as they please. Let people do it the Archicad way OR do it the Autocad way but don't be so stubborn as to withhold that option. It's obvious that enough people want the option to make it a valid request. Spend the $ to change the program. It will pay off.

Thanks for your time.
By TomWaltz
Gus wrote:If one has never used Autocad they have never experienced this feature. Therefore they have no ability to judge whether it's important to have or not.
I used to be an Autocad person. I was one of the few who hated in inconsistency. It's kind of silly for the drag in one direction to do one thing and drag in the other direction to do another.

Still, in the name of flexibility and learning transition, I think would be a good feature to help people switch over. If you ever learn Archicad's selection tools well, they are much better than Autocad's. Most of my team missed them at first... until I thought them how to use Archicad to its full potential.
By Joseph Harouni
TomWaltz wrote:... until I thought them how to use Archicad to its full potential.
And how (to select faster than going from left to right)?
By Gus
Where do you find these secret methods for selecting in Archicad. We have been using this in our office for years and have not found them.
By 46cruisair
YES, MORE THAN ESSENTIAL >> being a previous Autocad user and now using Archicad since AC9, I miss this one feature more than any other and agree completely with the basic argument that goes with "a click in time saves nine".

Allow the pro vs. con opponents and proponents of this right/left selection characteristic to turn it ON or OFF and to make appropriate adjustments (ie. improve this feature beyond autocad's implementation) in a Work Environments/Selection window. This would permit fans of a time saving methodology to be happy and the folks who can't stand it to also remain happy; we would all be happy and gas prices would plummet.

Just because it was an Autocad feature doesn't mean it is an inherently "bad" feature.

I welcome seeing this complaint raised again and again, and hopefully for as long as it takes for it to be implemented.
By Keith JAW
Dwight wrote: it is a mental flow disrupting pause, eye shift, refocus, redirection and re-aiming of the mouse, THEN it is a click. But you are not restored because you need to recover to where you were before you went mousie galavanting over to the in/out switch icon.
Spot on, Dwight. Previously I compared this to taking your pen off the drawing board, in order to dip it in the ink. Then somebody invented the indian ink fountain pen .....!

I was so pleased when Graphisoft gave us a single key shortcut to get the selection arrow - and then felt as if I'd found a shilling and lost sixpence when the additional selection method could ony be selected via the button!

Keith
Archicad v11, on Mac OSX 10.4.8
By Dom Askew
Rob wrote:
My wish is that everyone vote "Essential" for this wish since employing mouse gestures like AutoCAD is a sure-fire boost to Archicad productivity.
yes, my fuhrer...
however I somehow voted not important, as I do not miss this feature at all... besides we have mumbled through this discussion already:
http://archicad-talk.graphisoft.com/vie ... 5573&start
I have to agree -- never missed it. I'm quite happy with the selection options we now have.
By Erich
Well, with 12 we will get an psudo-Autocad style dimension tool, why not psudo-Autocad selection methods...I don't think this will hurt. As for polyline type selections, Autocad has that too and there is no conflict. While I am familiar with the host of AC selection methods we currently have and generally like them just fine, more options, particularly one so simple wouldn't hurt. We could have another check box in the preferences to turn this on or off for the old schoolers.
By Valery W
Erich wrote:We could have another check box in the preferences to turn this on or off for the old schoolers.
But in ArchiCAD already have a switch (check box). See the screenshot.
Earlier I said that has not found the opportunity to appoint shortcuts to switch.
Recently I worked a lot in AutoCAD and realized that this method of allocating (left-right and right-left) is not perfect. The method of switching better! Need only shortcuts to speed.
Attachments
check box.jpg
check box.jpg (5.06 KiB) Viewed 12789 times
By Valery W
If not possible to appoint shortcuts, then I want to ask more easily switch (check box). See the screenshot.
Attachments
check box_2.gif
check box_2.gif (2.64 KiB) Viewed 12785 times