The Global Archicad Community

Stay informed. Get help. Share your knowledge.

Any 2D tool what you need for drafting.

Moderators: Karl Ottenstein, LaszloNagy, ejrolon, Barry Kelly, Gordana Radonic, nbalogh, mnguyen, gkmethy

What's your opinion about this wish?

Essential (5)
68%
Important (4)
16%
Average (3)
No votes
0%
Not important (2)
No votes
0%
Not needed (1)
16%
By MAK
I could use an "Offset" feature so many times. It simply allows a person to pick any amount of lines, walls, beams etc. and offsets a copy at a distance desired. The key to this feature is that it the offset amount is the same along the entire path. Please add this feature. It is a small thing but a HUGE need.
Is there a reason that Drag > press option/alt to copy > type "r" > enter distance doesn't work for you?
By MAK
That would work if I was only trying to copy a line. Let's say we have a square (made of lines) and we want another square inside of it only 2" smaller. Currently we have to select each line, drag it inward and press "r" for the distance of 2". It would be faster to have a tool that allows a person to select all FOUR lines of the square and copy them equidistantly inward 2" all at once. This is beneficial once we get more complicated structures like all the walls of a sprawling building.
Why don't you use offset and magic wand?
Procedure:
1)select tool
2)select offset from toolbar
3)press spacebar (magic wand) and click inside rectangle
4)r and distance
I don't remember about AC7, but i think it had the option to do this. Look for this icon...
Attachments
toolbar.jpg
toolbar.jpg (33.81 KiB) Viewed 1580 times
We need offset function which can work like it does in AutoCAD - I've grown accustomed to the way AC handles offset, but sometimes I really wish I had AutoCAD-like offset function!

For example, if I need to offset only one side of the non-rectangular slab...
MAK wrote:I may be outdated with my request already because I am working in Archicad 7. Does 8 have an offset command? Because version 7 does not.
Offset has been there since before 7.

Karl
MarinRacic wrote:We need offset function which can work like it does in AutoCAD - I've grown accustomed to the way AC handles offset, but sometimes I really wish I had AutoCAD-like offset function!

For example, if I need to offset only one side of the non-rectangular slab...
... you activate the tool you want, click on offset, trace the side you want to offset, and specify the distance.
I know, but tracing sometimes isn't so simple and if I magic-wand it I get the whole slab. Once I did a Disney store which didn't have a single straight shelf, all were radial + they were different at every level (3 levels)... Tracing was, let's say, a bit of a pain in the b... :shock: