The Global ARCHICAD Community

Stay informed. Get help. Share your knowledge.

Any 2D tool what you need for drafting.

Moderators: Barry Kelly, Karl Ottenstein, LaszloNagy, ejrolon, gkmethy

What's your opinion about this wish?

Essential (5)
11
41%
Important (4)
8
30%
Average (3)
5
19%
Not important (2)
1
4%
Not needed (1)
2
7%
User avatar
By rocorona
#27578
It is a long time I think about this very simple point.

To perform a Mirror operation, we need to designate a mirroring axis.
Well, this can be similar to the cutting line defined for the "SPLIT" command. In this case we have two options:
a) One click - with the 'Mercedes' cursor
b) Two clicks - anywhere (but the first one NOT on a line/edge).

Why for the Mirror we don't have the firs option? Usually we have a center line already drawn... so we could simply do it with a single click.
... ok, not a big issue... but is so simple!

(obviously, if you click on a curved edge, the program must take the tangent for mirroring. Or consider it as the first click for the 'b' option)

__________________
--Roberto--
User avatar
By Rob
#27614
it is a good point. I vote 'essential'. I think such improvement would speed our work up as the mirror command is being used very often.
User avatar
By Aaron Bourgoin
#27625
I think it does this already. Hold the spacebar down and click on the reference axis (line, edge, etc.) to mirror or mirror copy.

its been able to do this for some time.
User avatar
By Karl Ottenstein
#27627
Aaron Bourgoin wrote:I think it does this already. Hold the spacebar down and click on the reference axis (line, edge, etc.) to mirror or mirror copy.

its been able to do this for some time.
Hi Aaron,

The space bar is superfluous as far as I can tell. (You don't get a magic wand by space-clicking in this instance, which is really the wish.)

When you click on the edge, you get the first point. But, this is the fascinating part - and I think a bug! - if you hold you mouse at the click-point, you'll see something like the attached screenshot. I've used an assymetric slab to emphasize the behavior.

Note that the slab is not mirrored, but rather is rotated. If you move the mouse either up or down along the clicked-edge, the slab mirrors properly and aligns. The second click now results in the mirror.

The wish is for a single (magic wand) click on an edge I think.

Is there a trick I'm missing?

Thanks,
Karl
Attachments
mirror-kind-of.gif
mirror-kind-of.gif (4.17 KiB) Viewed 13889 times
User avatar
By Aaron Bourgoin
#27631
Karl,

on reflection (no synonym intended) the magic wanding should do the trick, but does, as you say, rotate the object. Curious behaviour, really. Good of you to point that out.

Aaron, "there's a trick with a knife I'm learning to do", Bourgoin
User avatar
By rocorona
#27651
Karl Ottenstein wrote:
When you click on the edge, you get the first point. But, this is the fascinating part - and I think a bug! - if you hold you mouse at the click-point, you'll see something like the attached screenshot.
[...]
Note that the slab is not mirrored, but rather is rotated.
Yes, it seems (is) a 180° rotation. But from the ArchiCAD point of view, it can also be a (buggy) double rotation. As the cursor is kept on the first point, it can't calculate the axis direction, and maybe uses temporarily 0° AND 90°.
Karl Ottenstein wrote:The wish is for a single (magic wand) click on an edge I think.
My original wish was for a single click without Magic Wand, if the first click is performed on a line (i.e. with the Mercedes cursor).
User avatar
By Jesse Valentine Portz
#58028
Another way to not have to draw a mirroring axis is this 2 click method which would be a great option to have:

Click on 2 points- then the program uses a mirroring axis that is perpendicular to the midpoint between the 2 clicks.
I know it may sound strange, but it's actually really useful.
User avatar
By Djordje
#58059
Jesse Valentine Portz wrote:Another way to not have to draw a mirroring axis is this 2 click method which would be a great option to have:

Click on 2 points- then the program uses a mirroring axis that is perpendicular to the midpoint between the 2 clicks.
I know it may sound strange, but it's actually really useful.
You can ...

Use Special snap points.
#58090
Djordje wrote:
Jesse Valentine Portz wrote:Another way to not have to draw a mirroring axis is this 2 click method which would be a great option to have:

Click on 2 points- then the program uses a mirroring axis that is perpendicular to the midpoint between the 2 clicks.
I know it may sound strange, but it's actually really useful.
You can ...

Use Special snap points.
I may be wrong due to your cryptic answer, but I think you misunderstand me.
Special snap points divide a line. I am proposing a method which would spare the added effort of drawing the line in the first place.
Even if you are refering to the temporary vector, you would still need more than 2 clicks, no?
User avatar
By Philippe Reymond
#58177
I agree that, generally speaking, some actions can be achieved by just clicking on an edge (Mercedes) and some others ask for a second point even though you clicked first on an edge. This should be corrected rather, as I am concerned, for coherence than for click's count