The Global ARCHICAD Community

Stay informed. Get help. Share your knowledge.

Any 2D tool what you need for drafting.

Moderators: Barry Kelly, Karl Ottenstein, LaszloNagy, ejrolon, gkmethy

What's your opinion about this wish?

Essential (5)
46%
Important (4)
38%
Average (3)
No votes
0%
Not important (2)
8%
Not needed (1)
8%
By Djordje
Please don't get me wrong ...

Most of the usability wishes are coming from the fact that people are USED TO something, and don't take the time and put in effort to learn.

Most of the users I have met also do not use the Control box, and have no clue what happens there.

Looking for clutch in an automatic won't help you, as expecting a manual to change gears for you won't. You HAVE TO learn the system, and not complain that it does not do what you want. AFTER you exhaust all the possibilities of the system, please DO complain, because only then your complaints are real.

Off my sand mound now ...
Djordje wrote:Please don't get me wrong ...
So are you opposed to making archicad easier to use? I'm not sure how I should take your comments.
I know how to use the control box. I know how to use the constraints that are there. I just happen to think that they are cumbersome to use.
In my career I have used over 10 different CAD packages over the course of 15 years. At one point years ago I would have said that I thought that ArchiCAD's constraints were quite good. However, by this point the constraints offered by archiCAD are much slower and more cumbersome than those offered elsewhere.
As I am already suffering from RSI because I have to draft so much, I think that software should be flexibe to drawing a wide variety of shapes with the minimum of keystrokes and clicks.
By Rashid Garuba
Designing software for a few genuises only is not economically viable. Companies that mistaken complex software for great software do fine with a captive base until they either innovate or an innovative competitor does them in... We are not asking for heaven and earth, just to expand the input methods.
By Djordje
Jesse Valentine Portz wrote:
So are you opposed to making archicad easier to use? I'm not sure how I should take your comments.
Just as I put them.

Of course the ease of use is paramount, and we all wish less clicks. The point was, the "old" interface was - and still is, to the point - uncluttered and easy. Many of the wishes stem from the habits of using other software, and are not necesarrily objectively better.
By Erika Epstein

Most of the usability wishes are coming from the fact that people are USED TO something, and don't take the time and put in effort to learn.
I couldn't agree more. Learning AC is like learning another language. You need to learn to think work in the new language.
By Andy Harle
A quick thought.

Some CAD packages allow you to select a constrain or a snap by right-clicking whilst drawing an element.

Why can't ArchiCAD have this function. It would certainly be more ergonomic than having to hit alt-x, alt-y art-r etc. whilst drawing. The contextual menu whilst drawing is quite limited and could easily be extended.

I know that this whole area might be addressed in ArchiCAD 10, but this would be a simple enhancement to the program.
Attachments
ACcontraints.GIF
ACcontraints.GIF (6.25 KiB) Viewed 5990 times