The Global Archicad Community

Stay informed. Get help. Share your knowledge.

Any 2D tool what you need for drafting.

Moderators: ejrolon, Barry Kelly, Karl Ottenstein, LaszloNagy, gkmethy

What's your opinion about this wish?

Essential (5)
80%
Important (4)
15%
Average (3)
2%
Not important (2)
1%
Not needed (1)
1%
By strom
Firstly thanks for your help
You can do that now - with any element.
Yeh with a leader on it - just what I wanted
Rather than saving default text favourites for the content of the text (I do this for style, size, layer, etc., though) I either have a hole bunch of notes off to the side in my template that I can drag, drop and edit as needed or I have objects saved - some as standard notes and some as editable notes.
What template is this another open project file?

Is there a thread about how to create objects that I can have default text in that I can changes as a favorite. I opened a Door Tag after saving as object but all that GDL stuff makes no sense to me as I would expect Graphisoft doesnt expect you to be a programmer to produce intelligent drawings aids with a computer language.
strom wrote: What template is this another open project file?
Yes it can be another open project.
You can copy and paste from one job to another but just be aware that ideally the two jobs should be based on the same template - same layers, pen colours, line types, composites, etc.
Otherwise what you copy may change as you paste it in the second file.
Text will be fine it may just change layers or colour if the attributes don't match.

Ideally you should be starting all jobs from a template.
This will save you setting up layers, layer combinations, composites, sections and elevations, layout books, just to name a few things that can be standardised.
In your template you can have often used notes, objects and elements off to the side so that you can use them without thinking about what settings you need to make to them.
It is like favourites but they are physically there already.
Delete what you don't want at the end of the job (or when ever you want really).

strom wrote:Is there a thread about how to create objects that I can have default text in that I can changes as a favorite. I opened a Door Tag after saving as object but all that GDL stuff makes no sense to me as I would expect Graphisoft doesnt expect you to be a programmer to produce intelligent drawings aids with a computer language.
Not really.
It is a case of learning GDL if you want to do it properly.
You can simply type a note and save it as an object that you can use in future.
You can always explode a text object and then you can edit the text as normal if you need to make changes to it.
Otherwise correctly scripting an object will allow you to change the text,, size, colour, layout, etc., from within the object parameters without having to explode it.

The attached image shows an note object I have scripted that allows me to add any note I need but keeping a similar format to other notes - but I can change that too.
GDL is really the way to go (for all sorts of things - not just notes) if you can get your head around it.

Barry.
Attachments
note_example_2.jpg
By strom
Sorry Graphisoft I have got to say this.

It appears that a lot of ArchiCAD users including myself have to develop work arounds to do things efficiently in their documents. Unfortunatly for me I have used Revit before and time and again ArchiCAD appears to fail for me over some simple things like what is mentioned in this thread. I see a lot of ArchiCAD only users living in a bubble of work around this and that. If I hadnt used Revit before I too could live in that bubble and be happy and content I bought the software.

Its possible that GRAPHISOFT can't implement the requests below because of retrograde project version compatibility. The need to learn GDL appears counter productive for text notation items. Other 3D stuff I can see where it would be warranted.

By the way you can use a Worksheet to put your template notes on too. Copy Paste Drag and Drop. Seems like a very labourious way to get the efficiency you want or would expect in this day and age.

I just just want a 2 click favorite Label with default text and the choice of leader or no leader......So simple but just a pipe dream that would make my day a pleasure to use ArchiCAD
I guess the idea is that a label should have an arrow pointing to something otherwise it is just text.
So yes it would be a good idea to be able to save the actual text with a text favourite.
Of course we would need the option to save the text or not with the favourite.

I was going to suggest saving a label favourite with the line set to a white pen so it doesn't print.
But I was just playing (I don't use labels much) and noticed that if you click 3 times on the same spot (instead of define the points of the line you get a label with no line or arrow.

So it seems you can save your label favourite with the text you want and have a line or not. :D

Barry.
Attachments
lable_no_arrow.jpg
By Barry Kelly
Selecting the label at the point where the arrow should be and then dragging will bring the line back.
Likewise dragging the ends of the line back onto the point where it joins the text will hide the line.

Barry.
Attachments
lable_no_arrow_2.jpg
Have you tried the 'Align' tool?
I don't have Archicad running at the moment.
There may be a tool button in a default too bar or it will be in the 'Edit' menu somewhere.
If you can't find it let me know and I will post screen shot.

I have never tried to align labels but it should work.

Barry.
Yes it works.
I had to start Archicad for something anyway so here is a screen shot.

Barry.
Attachments
align_label.jpg
Erich wrote:Barry,

That is a nifty little note box. Are you able/willing to share?
Unfortunately not as it was written specifically for the company I work for.

Barry.