The Global ARCHICAD Community

Stay informed. Get help. Share your knowledge.

Any 2D tool what you need for drafting.

Moderators: Barry Kelly, Karl Ottenstein, LaszloNagy, ejrolon, gkmethy

What's your opinion about this wish?

Essential (5)
52%
Important (4)
43%
Average (3)
No votes
0%
Not important (2)
4%
Not needed (1)
No votes
0%
By KeesW
We've just got a bloke in the office and he's an experienced Revit user. It it automatic converts walls on plans into demolished elements, with dashed lines, etc., by clicking the element. We can achieve a similar result by copying the floor plan onto a demolition layer, changing its line type and then locking it. We then copy it over the new plan. Workable but messy and non-intuitive compared to Revit.

Could we please get in Archicad to do it as simply as Revit?
1: Make demolition wall parameter as a favorite.

2: Inject favorite value into new demo wall - dashes, color and layer change if you want.

Okay. It's two steps... to get the sequence started. But if you do all of the demo walls in a view at once, then it is just one command for each wall after that. [Inject]
Dwight wrote:1: Make demolition wall parameter as a favorite.

2: Inject favorite value into new demo wall - dashes, color and layer change if you want.

Okay. It's two steps... to get the sequence started. But if you do all of the demo walls in a view at once, then it is just one command for each wall after that. [Inject]
I think the demo/rehav functions in Archicad border on non-existant.

What about when you need walls to vary in appearance from drawing to drawing within the set? How do you deal with removing a window and not the whole wall? Or a portion of a wall to place a new window into?

Yes, there are dozens of workarounds here, but they are workarounds instead of actual program capabilities.
Dwight wrote:1: Make demolition wall parameter as a favorite.

Only one little problem, if you will. What if you have walls of varying thicknesses that you want to demo? You would then need to have one different wall parameter for each wall thickness. It's not the end of the world, I know, but it would be nice to have an actual demo tool. For example have all the items placed on a demo layer automatically take on "demo" item settings.

Dunno, haven't thought about it much, but definetly a great idea.
I am voting "Important" on this one but only as part of (or on the way to) a larger overhaul of element attributes and display options. I would like elements themselves be defined as new, existing, or to be demolished and then have display options for how they are to be represented.

This would allow as-built, demolition, and construction models to all coexist in the same file without resorting to complicated layering. It also opens the door to possible time based modeling (new becomes existing becomes demolished) and design alternates (new approved, new alt-1, new alt-2, etc...), and maybe even revision history.

This also ties into my desire to replace the layers with a system more appropriate to organizing the building model. (I've written about this elsewhere but can't seem to find it for the link right now.)
This sounds really useful. I have always found it a pain to handle new and existing structure in a single model file.

It does need to be tied in to Display Options or a proper implementation of the Options Manager, so that a View Set can be set up for existing and proposed.

Like Matthew I think there needs to be a system of controlling the representation of the building model beyond layers.
Great request.
I also wish we didn't have to use the workarounds.

One of the workarounds we use for demolished objects and openings is to turn the 3d items off in the '3d Detail options' in the object when it exists. Problem is that many objects don't have this option.

Incidently Door & Window Builder also does not allow you to turn 3d details to off. So if you ever need to re-instate a window you may have wanted demolished, its quite a bit of extra work.
Haneef Tayob wrote:Incidently Door & Window Builder also does not allow you to turn 3d details to off. So if you ever need to re-instate a window you may have wanted demolished, its quite a bit of extra work.
...or you could save it as a favourite before you delete it.
A correction to my earlier post where I said DW Builder does not allow for demolition.

I see that the latest release of DW Builder does allow for demolition work, where you can switch off 3d properties of a window. :)