The Global ARCHICAD Community

Stay informed. Get help. Share your knowledge.

TeamWork, CAD Manager Tools, XREFs, Hotlinks...

Moderators: Barry Kelly, Karl Ottenstein, LaszloNagy, ejrolon, gkmethy

What's your opinion about this wish?

Essential (5)
71%
Important (4)
22%
Average (3)
5%
Not important (2)
No votes
0%
Not needed (1)
2%
By dv_chris
Voted essential. Such a simple, yet fundamental thing, as intuitive as breathing for every other piece of software I can think of. Even if it has to be restricted to copy/paste between the SAME software and the SAME project structure/story levels, etc. that would cover a large percentage of cases.
This was originally requested in 2005, so this year we're coming up for the ninth anniversary...
By Haiku
there is workaround. - In 3D mode, select the whole model(or parts you wish), then group them. Go to 2D plan view, and select one of the grouped elements(it will select the whole group) then ctr-c and paste into the new archicad instance in plan view again... there you go. Just fix the story heights, elements visibility and you should be ok.
By dv_chris
I suspect Karl, who originally posted this wish, would disagree with you Haiku, partly because of the problems inherent with your own statment, "Just fix the story heights, (etc.)"

If you read through the earlier posts, Karl says,
"In this wish, the elements can be on multiple stories (sort of the point of working in 3D, actually). Even if elements were selected in plan, we would not know which plans (plural) were involved ... and AC can only select elements on one plan view at a time anyway. "
By Paul King
I would like to even copy and past within the same project in 3D! (for example copying elements scattered across a number of stories)
By Barry Kelly
I would like to even copy and past within the same project in 3D! (for example copying elements scattered across a number of stories)
You can't use copy & paste in 3D (not sure why not) but don't forget you can drag copies in 3D.

It would also be nice if we could 'save selection as module' in 3D as well as in plan, as that would allow us to merge the module into any file.
But I guess this has potential storey issues which is why it can't be done.

Barry.
By Paul King

You can't use copy & paste in 3D (not sure why not) but don't forget you can drag copies in 3D.

Barry.
Yes drag a copy is my current workaround - which means I have to drag it back into position as a second operation if I want to do the equivalent of copying & pasting in place (eg for producing multiple complex 3D facade design variations, each on a new layer)
By rikerj
Graphisoft, please fix this. I understand the work around, but there needs to be a way to copy and paste 3d objects from one file to another. This is more essential to working in 3d than any new improvements you may be cooking up. Please let us all know when we can expect this fix that was requested over 10 years ago. Thanks.
By Brainmaniac
You have my essential vote. It is incredibly annoying that this is not implemented yet... Please Graphisoft, make this happen ASAP!
By Barry Kelly
I was going to suggest to "Save Selection as Module" then place in a new file and explode if necessary.
But that only works from a selection in 2D (plan) which defeats the purpose.

Barry.
By anto_bg
So, is there already a way to copy a building to another drawing without having to copy it floor by floor? I tried with the thick marquee tool but there were missing slabs when I pasted it in the new document. I wish there was simply the option to save selection as a new document.