The Global ARCHICAD Community

Stay informed. Get help. Share your knowledge.

GDL language and objects, API, Add-ons, Script…

Moderators: Karl Ottenstein, LaszloNagy, ejrolon, Barry Kelly, gkmethy

About Updating and Deleting existing Archicad elements from Grasshopper, I think...

IS GAME CHANGER
88%
IS IMPORTANT
13%
I COULD LIVE WITHOUT IT
No votes
0%
IS NOT NECESSARY
No votes
0%
Currently, we can Read Archicad elements from GH and even algorithmically Create new geometrical elements controlling its parameters and property values.

And this is really great for enhancing archicad modeling capabilities, no doubt!

But the connection addon, after years of development, is still lacking a very important functionality: The capability to UPDATING existing archicad elements (its parameters values, its property values, or its position in the model) and DELETING them.

This feature would make grashopper not only a modeling tool for grasshopper, but it would undertake another very important task in the current architectural practice, the INFORMATION MANAGEMENT.

We could use Grasshopper as a very capable Archicad model auditor. The capabilities would expand significantly. Imagine: Algorithmic Layer containment check and correction, parameter name check/correction, atribute assignment check/corrections... A real game changer!

Now, apart of "physical elements" i.e (wall, slabs, windows, curtain wall...) imagine the possibilities if all set of existing Archicad attributes could be Created, Read, Updated and Deleted directly from Grasshopper. Archicad Informational Management capabilities enormously extended, just implementing for grasshopper full access to Archicad Database.

This feature, in my opinion has the potential to totally change the way we use archicad nowadays, and should be taken as a priority, given that is unlikely to interfere with current archicad tools and recognizes Grasshopper as a fully capable programing enviroment that complements perfectly with any current archicad workflow.

Schedules are great as model audit tool, but lacks the capabilities of mass editing properties values. Grasshopper is the definitive audition, edition, managing tool.... Please, unleash its potential. Give us access to full CRUD actions to manage Archicad database!

Everyone knows the goodness of Graphical Overriding. Now, we also know creating rules for Graphical Overrides is slow and painfull. Enter grasshopper as Graphical Overriding editor.

I will not continue with examples, but any archicad workflow has the capability of being greatly enhanced with Grasshopper (not only modeling).

For the time being, this wish only ask to existing elements Update and Delete possibility.

viewtopic.php?f=43&t=68501
Last edited by leceta on Tue Dec 03, 2019 11:15 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Hi Leceta,

Thanks for pointing the need of update ArchiCAD database. That'll be definitely a very important feature. If we could control every parameters from Grasshopper we could definitely improve our workflow and propose better design and environmental analysis.

Graphisoft should focus more on developping this wonderful tool :)

Best,

Frank