The Global ARCHICAD Community

Stay informed. Get help. Share your knowledge.

Any other not ARCHICAD related questions.

Moderators: Barry Kelly, Karl Ottenstein, LaszloNagy, ejrolon, gkmethy

What is your opinion about this Wish?

Essential
67%
Important
No votes
0%
Average
No votes
0%
Not Important
33%
Not Needed
No votes
0%
By Yury
Now Grouping is only for helping to hold object together, and for easy selecting. But it would be magic if Grouping to be able to create an instance! Like Components in Sketchup or instances in 3d max. So, if i model something by morph, copies of it can be modified by edit only one of them! Not for only morph. For any objects, that can be grouped.
Have you explored saving elements as a Module?

Barry.
By Yury
Have you explored saving elements as a Module?

Barry.
Of course! But the fastest way to do it: 1. create model of necessary objects by morph or other 2. Store the original morph somewhere in the project 3. Save morphs and any other as GDL 4. Use any quantity of copies of this GDL object. 4. Edit the origin morph 5. Save edited morph as GDL (rewrite with same name). But, i think you understand how many limitations has this method. And MODULE has even more limitations. Unlike other architecture programs Archicad is on the way to make working process maximally free, intuitive and flexible. So in this way i say about block (like in AutoCAD), component/dynamic component (in Sketchup), instance (in 3d MAX). MODULE in the end, with edit-in-place function to reduce annoying extra actions. MORPH with instances ability. Or....just...Group command works like BLOCK in AutoCAD....
An instance / module / component manager and editing window similar to the detailing / worksheet windows where you could use all tools (3D and 2d) to create an object/ a room/ an apartment etc would be ideal.
Such a tool would simplify file management for projects in a similar way to when Plotmker was incorporated into ArchiCad. This tool would also likely meet the object creation needs of most users and not require them to delve into GDL.

Regards
Scott