The Global ARCHICAD Community

Stay informed. Get help. Share your knowledge.

Discussion of non-graphical data: Properties, Property Expressions, Classifications, Interactive Schedules

Moderators: Karl Ottenstein, LaszloNagy, ejrolon, Barry Kelly, gkmethy

Greetings, I need to calculate the excavated volume of soil from a mesh as it relates to a swimming pool. The pool is on a sloping mesh as seen in the attached image. For a grading calculation, is there a way to accurately calculate the volume of where the mesh intersects the pool? For the purpose of this discussion the pool can be one large slab. Thanks for any suggestions. Scott
Attachments
Screen Shot 2019-10-21 at 10.59.11 AM.png
Pool on sloping mesh
Scott

Create a schedule for the mesh and calculate "Net Volume", you will have to run the schedule with and with out the seo of the pool. The difference in the volume calc's is the excavated volume.

David
Dave Seabury wrote:
Mon Oct 21, 2019 9:33 pm
Create a schedule for the mesh and calculate "Net Volume", you will have to run the schedule with and with out the seo of the pool. The difference in the volume calc's is the excavated volume.

Just create a duplicate of the mesh without the SEO so you can calculate both at the same time and you don't affect the existing mesh SEO.

It is a bit of a pain the a 'Net Volume' works for a mesh, but there is no such thing as 'Gross Volume' for a mesh (or 'Conditional Volume' either).

Barry.
It worked~! Thank you both for your suggestions, As recommended I used duplicate meshes with and without the SEO calculated in a mesh schedule. That is a very handy grading calc technique. Scott
Understood that issue is solved...
But there is yet another option
(if you are on an ARCHIPLUS subscription).
Download the "Terrian Tool".

Full discloser... I've never tried it.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2019-10-27 at 2.21.40 PM.png
Thanks Marc. Also, I just learned that the opening tool in AC23 when placed into meshes can yield the volume of the hole or excavation volume. Very useful. See the attached screenshot. Scott
Attachments
Screen Shot 2019-11-01 at 8.00.21 AM.png
Im not certain this is measuring the volume of the excavation, When I do this, it measures the volume of the opening tool, maybe there is another selection option in the schedule.