The Global Archicad Community

Stay informed. Get help. Share your knowledge.

Discussions about managing Archicad in architectural practices (Project Setup, Templates, Attributes, Migration, Compatibility with Previous Versions, Preferences/Work Environment, User/Project/Application Administration/Management etc.)

Moderators: Karl Ottenstein, LaszloNagy, ejrolon, Barry Kelly, gkmethy

By mnguyen
agroni wrote:
Mon Jun 08, 2020 4:49 am
Finally after two years someone is talking seriously. Thank you Minh!
Where is this "wishliste database", that contains probably over a thousand entries?
Hi,

Thank you for your enthusiasm! Unfortunately, at the moment, the wish list is an internal database, that is not available for the public. But, I hope that this will be changed in the future, and (maybe I can dream a bit) have some voting system, so that users can decide which function will be included in the next version.

Have a great day!

Best regards,
Minh
By afaria
ID's are a hot issue and can cause a great deal of time to fix when problems arise. I tend not to mess with the numbers that already exist. I don't think it is a good idea to try to restart from 1 etc.

Regarding hotlinked files, I have read somewhere (but haven't tried yet) :
Imagine we have one host file and a hotlink file. The idea is to create a third file. This third file is where all attributs are managed when needed. For example, if one needs a new complex profile, it is created in this file. From time to time, when needed, all attributes are exported from this third file into the host and hotlink files.
I think it's a possible workaround... Has anyone tried something like it?

Thanks in advance
By Braza
afaria wrote:Regarding hotlinked files, I have read somewhere (but haven't tried yet) :
Imagine we have one host file and a hotlink file. The idea is to create a third file. This third file is where all attributs are managed when needed. For example, if one needs a new complex profile, it is created in this file. From time to time, when needed, all attributes are exported from this third file into the host and hotlink files.
I think it's a possible workaround... Has anyone tried something like it?
In my experience, the main issues that may arise from this workflow are:
- If you need to add or edit any existing attribute in the "Attribute File", you will have to update all linked files manually. And I mean not just open all the files and update the hotlink; You will have to open the Attribute Manager inside host file (before updating the hotlinked Attribute File) > Load the Attribute File Atributes > Add the host attributes "by Index" > Repeat the process for each host file ad nauseun (This process I personally call "The Japanese Tea Ceremony" :twisted: );
- If you happen to forget to update a single hotlinked file, then when you update your Master File, attributes will start to duplicating in cascade with sequential numbers... (Which I personally call Attribute Avalanches :twisted: ) And you will never know which file has to be updated... Then you will have to repeat it all over again :evil: .

IMO, this workflow, may only work in a small team with each member controlling its won hotlinked file, and a BIM Manager that maintain the Attribute File and communicate each member to do the "Japanese Tea Ceremony" ASAP.

So, to avoid this issue, I propose a Dedicated Shared Resource File. If you want you can vote. :wink:

Or: Someone please tell me I am missing something! :roll:

Cheers,
By jl_lt
Mr. Nguyen, thank you for being so active in the forums. What Mr. Braza suggests, if i understand it correctly, is something that has arised many times over in the forums in one way or another, and its just not a simple wish, but rather, It´s one of those things that, if implemented, would radically improve Archicad´s functionality for the benefit of ALL. Hope it gets some priority.
By Barry Kelly
Version 24 now at least has a re-indexing option that will help to make re-organising a little easier.
See the video in this post ... viewtopic.php?f=24&t=62461&p=313362#p313305

Barry.