Thanks for the extensive explanation about how to associate file types Barry.
On macOS this works similarly: you have to right click on a PLN file, select Get Info, and in the appearing window, under "Open With" you will have the option to select the default application. Select the correct ARCHICAD version here, and click the "Change All..." button to apply it to PLN files in general (not just the selected instance). Also, Project Preview Pictures automatically appear on macOS (if the file type is correctly associated with ARCHICAD of course).
I added it to our list of issues that displaying the project preview image as the icon sometimes does not work with ARCHICAD 22 files. The bat definition used for this hasn't changed for years so we are not quite sure why this is (maybe something changed in Windows), but we are looking into it (issue #257594).
In the meantime I got the following suggestions that might help this problem:
- Right click on the bat file, and select "run as Administrator. For a few years now command prompt has an Administrator and a non-administrator mode, and it can make all the difference (so for certain commands, you have to start command prompt as an administrator to work). After running this, restart the computer.
- Modify the bat files a bit and Run them again (as Administrator of course)
- Right-click the bat file and choose 'Edit'
- Add a new line between the 2 existing ones and enter this into it:
- Save the bat file, run it again (as Admin), and restart the computer.
- Register the Shell Extension through Command Prompt
- Run Command Prompt As Administrator
- Run the following command (with the path of your installed ARCHICAD of course):
regsvr32 /s "C:\Program Files\GRAPHISOFT\ARCHICAD 22\GSShellX64.dll"
- Restart the computer
- If it is still not working, try reinstalling ARCHICAD 22
When we were testing things here, after doing all these steps, it started working again. Hope it will help you as well.
Daniel Alexander Kovacs
Technical Support Engineer
For Troubleshooting and useful Tips & Tricks visit