The Global Archicad Community

Stay informed. Get help. Share your knowledge.

Sharing a project for a team, accessing projects remotely. Setup of BIMcloud/Users/Roles, Working/Messaging in Teamwork (Example: What are the firewall settings for the BIMcloud to make it accessible over the Internet?)

Moderators: Karl Ottenstein, LaszloNagy, ejrolon, Barry Kelly, gkmethy, Istvan Moharos, Marton Kiss

User avatar
By Rakela Raul
#152838
i was talking with bentley users and i understood that ProjectWise is not free......(number one) and it is more than a share-design file, it is a file-manager: words, etc files are managed from there....they were very happy.....But now, they were collaborating with another company and using a different 'file manager'...if i dont recall well, 'sharepoint' or something like that....and they were unhappy because they have to download and upload files,,,unlike ProjectWise...if anyone has specifics questions about PWise, let me know...(I dont know anything but I have people who uses it).
THis thing is getting kind of popular, good to know !!
By Chris B
#152848
Stuart Smith wrote:Thanks Karl and Erika, sounds like we should be fine.

One more question:

We like to study lots of options throughout the design process. One way we do this in AC12 is to save Teamwork draft files for each of the options, and then send changes back to the .plp when a direction is chosen.

Does TW2 allow this, or something similar?
I'm also curious if the new TM allows this - I had experimented with the process before but found it a more complicated that ideal. Maybe the new scheme makes it easier? Or impossible?
User avatar
By Krippahl
#152853
Steve Jepson wrote:Can you imagine what Vico's Constructor could do with TW2?
Absolutely nothing, because that modeler is being discontinued.

VICO Office works with ArchiCAD (and other) models, so yes, people in the construction companies are VERY excited with TW2.
User avatar
By Steve Jepson
#152873
Krippahl wrote:
Steve Jepson wrote:Can you imagine what Vico's Constructor could do with TW2?
Absolutely nothing, because that modeler is being discontinued.

VICO Office works with ArchiCAD (and other) models, so yes, people in the construction companies are VERY excited with TW2.

What do you mean the modeler is bing discontinued?
The modeler in Constructor is ArchiCAD isn't it?


Image
Shot at 2009-09-05


Now that they want to be "BIM Neutral", does that mean we can buy there add-ons individually to use with ArchiCAD now?
I would like to know more about their Takeoff Manager.

BIM Neutral just means that is uses IFC compatible parts right?

If you want to do that with ArchiCAD or any other program you can.

Time to learn about Solibri.
User avatar
By Krippahl
#152874
Steve Jepson wrote:What do you mean the modeler is bing discontinued?
The modeler in Constructor is ArchiCAD isn't it?
The new VICO suite (VICO Office) does not include a modeler.

It works with 3 modelers so far, ArchiCAD, Revit and Tekla.

It does not handle IFC, AFAIK.

There is still the old 2008 suite around, but it will be discontinued as soon as VICO Office is complete.
http://www.vicosoftware.com/products/Vi ... fault.aspx
User avatar
By Steve Jepson
#152875
So does that mean the price will go down by $5000 ?

Will we be able to buy the various modules separately to use with the modeler of our choice?
User avatar
By Steve Jepson
#152877
WOW. This is great news :)
User avatar
By Krippahl
#152879
Steve Jepson wrote:WOW. This is great news :)
Sure is :)
And if you think about ArchiCAD new teamwork ability, you can easily imagine a team of 10 or 12 building a very big construction model in a very short time period.
User avatar
By Karl Ottenstein
#152885
Chris B wrote:
Stuart Smith wrote:We like to study lots of options throughout the design process. One way we do this in AC12 is to save Teamwork draft files for each of the options, and then send changes back to the .plp when a direction is chosen.

Does TW2 allow this, or something similar?
I'm also curious if the new TM allows this - I had experimented with the process before but found it a more complicated that ideal. Maybe the new scheme makes it easier? Or impossible?
I'm not aware of anything new to help with design alternatives.

But, the old method of saving multiple drafts does not work with the new TeamWork, as there is no concept of a draft any longer.

Instead, the Mark-Up palette can be used to manage design alternatives (as now - described in some threads here). Changing the visibility of markup entries would make the various alternatives visible. (It is sort of like the way a master layer makes a hotlink visible/invisible, in case you are more familiar with hotlinks than with mark-up.)

Elements belonging to a mark-up entry, too, can be assigned to and reserved by team members. Just as today, the 'accepted' alternative can then have its elements removed from the mark-up group and made normal elements (which would then render normally, etc). But, the alternatives can still stay in the file, as someone might change their mind at the last minute!

This is actually a better approach than drafts IMHO because then the design director, partner or whoever can review the alternatives ... and alternatives can be submitted by any number of team members.

Cheers,
Karl