The Global ARCHICAD Community

Stay informed. Get help. Share your knowledge.

Topics related to the Grasshopper-ARCHICAD Connection and the various tasks that can be achieved with it.

Moderators: LaszloNagy, ejrolon, Barry Kelly, Karl Ottenstein, gkmethy

Hi,

I'm doing a daylight analysis through Grasshopper from ArchiCAD drawings. I'd like to send back my results with the daylight grid but it seems not possible to export my daylight grid from grasshopper to ArchiCAD. Do you have any idea of how to deal with it?

Best,

Frank
I often bake the color gradient directly to the mesh this way it can be saved and reused to create new images or rendered in any render engine if exported out of rhino. I have not tried to send that to Archicad but it may work. If you need the values for anything I suppose just dumping to excel is useful for that or a custom GDL object and you could transfer that to Archicad via grasshopper.
AFAIK gradients won't import.

The reason would be import as an image, is not to mess up your attributes, as each Rhino colour is going to be imported as a separate "Surface" - so if you bake a coloured mesh from the analysis result, you will be fine, you will have your analysis mesh in ARCHICAD. If you are doing a fine analysis, it is going to be dozens, which I would rather not pollute my file with. The import won't change your linetypes to the respected colours, so you either create
- a 3D document to clean up from the boundary lines (both 2D and 3D analysis)
- openGL view (both 2D and 3D)
- import the result as an image, scale it to fit your floor plans (2D only).

The benefits of creating a 3D document is the vector quality over a raster image, which could be easily overcome via saving a larger image. To achieve that, you can use the "ViewCaptureToFile" instead of "ScreenCaptureToFile" command in Rhino. You can set up a decent resolution and no one will notice a drop in quality in your drawings. To see the results in BIMx/openGL, just create a Surface with your image.
To all,

Exporting gradiants color from Rhino to ArchiCAD is problematic, and you can observe this fact by making the comparison that while Rhino/GH mesh do have 3 points/colors gradiants (the norm), ArchiCAD can only accept 2 (proof: check your ArchiCAD Reference manual about gradiant fills and GDL Reference manual)

So to bypass this problem you can proceed in one of the 2 solutions I'll mention:
1- Pixelate the result, make regions in Grasshopper that include a range of a result, each region have a solid color (Pro: easy to implement, and easy to keep it updated).
2- Export solution as an image. (Pro: easy to implement, & less demanding on your computer resources. Con: manual updating/i]).