The Global ARCHICAD Community

Stay informed. Get help. Share your knowledge.

Topics related to the Grasshopper-ARCHICAD Connection and the various tasks that can be achieved with it.

Moderators: ejrolon, Barry Kelly, Karl Ottenstein, LaszloNagy, gkmethy

Hello, I am totally new to try this feature, so I am using Archicad 23 EDU, and Rhino 6. I have installed the connection plugin, and the 'archicad' tab on grasshopper is already shown up. Then I did a test by making a slab in Archicad, and in GH I put the Slab parameter capsule, and right click on it and click something called 'extract/select a single from archicad'. Then the window of GH and Rhino were minimized only for a couple seconds, and then it went back again to the GH window, and nothing happened. Seems like I cannot extract or I think the connection is not working. Can somebody help me please? Thank you!
Hello,

I hope you managed to figure out how to get along with it by yourself. If no, let me share this youtube playlist with you, that should take you through all the steps of how to get started with Grasshopper (and the Live connection):
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... 9_-IjzZGcl

Anyhow, in this specific case, if you want to reference an existing slab inside ARCHICAD to be liked to a "slab container" component in grasshopper, first you will need to start the connection from the Grasshopper Connection palette (see the video for this), and then right-click on the component, choose "select one slab in ARCHICAD", and then click a slab in ARCHICAD. If the slab was already selected in ARCHICAD before, then it may pick the selected slab automatically.

I hope this helps!

Regards,
Step one for me will be getting the ArchiCAD element/s to be displayed in Rhino via the ArchiCAD-Grasshopper add-on.
I have still not been able to do that using ArchiCAD 23 and Rhino 6 - but it was working for me with earlier versions. I must have some simple thing setup wrong. ? Connections are verifiably established but I do not see anything in Rhino.

2020-01-16_15-18-41.png

Also, there are too many old videos out there which don't work for new versions.

Before I spend money on tutorials to figure out where I have gone wrong with my set up, does ArchiCAD 23 and Rhino 6 ( windows) work for anyone else? I read about problems like I am having but I don't see any windows users saying that it works as expected for them. ?
Steve Jepson wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 12:57 am
Step one for me will be getting the ArchiCAD element/s to be displayed in Rhino via the ArchiCAD-Grasshopper add-on.
I must have some simple thing setup wrong. ?
Have you tried to add in parameters in Grasshopper to assign your ArchiCAD elements to?
Steve,

Establishment of the connection between the two programs does not mean anything is displayed in Rhino. Did you place any ARCHICAD Node in Grasshopper and set one or more ARCHICAD Elements with it? You will see ARCHICAD stuff displayed in Rhino only if you use an ARCHICAD Node in Grasshopper to get the geometry of those ARCHICAD elements into Rhino/Grasshopper.
Like you can see it in this clip:

Steve Jepson wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 12:57 am
I have still not been able to do that using ArchiCAD 23 and Rhino 6 - but it was working for me with earlier versions. I must have some simple thing setup wrong. ? Connections are verifiably established but I do not see anything in Rhino.
Thanks Laszlo,
This just the video I needed to see :)