The Global ARCHICAD Community

Stay informed. Get help. Share your knowledge.

Topics related to the Grasshopper-ARCHICAD Connection and the various tasks that can be achieved with it.

Moderators: Karl Ottenstein, LaszloNagy, ejrolon, Barry Kelly, gkmethy

By abdel243@umn.edu
I am currently working on a research project with a local firm where we aim to develop a grasshopper script that could color visualize energy use (from data extracted from the Archicad energy evaluation report) on building volumes/forms in Archicad. However, I want to know if there are ways to work directly between Archicad and Grasshopper without using Rhino as a link. In other words, what is the capacity of the Grasshopper-Archicad live connection to read geometry from Archicad directly into Grasshopper? I am trying to eliminate the incorporation of Rhino in this equation for two reasons: 1. Avoid purchasing Rhino for the firm I work with + 2. Avoid having to introduce the office to the use of a new modeling program that they aren’t familiar with (people at the office only know how to use Archicad, but little/no knowledge of Grasshopper and Rhino. Ultimately, I would just have to set up the grasshopper script and it would automatically run with Archicad projects and not have them go through accessing Rhino in addition to that. Does anyone know how this workflow could work?
By LaszloNagy
Grasshopper is a Rhino "Add-On" and is run by typing the "Grasshopper" command in Rhino. I do not think Grasshopper can run on its own.