Algimantas Kuprenas wrote: ↑
Mon May 11, 2020 6:49 pm
I made video tutorial about how You can host and run BIMcloud basic server on VPS (Virtual Private Server) that can be accessed from any place in the world without need of VPN. Hopefully it will help to start Your own BIMcloud servers
first of all thank you very much for posting this video. Such in depth tutorials are quite helpful for anyone who wants to get things started.
Your video covers a few essential steps on how to get started, but I think there are several other factors that need to be considered for a production setup:
- resources: the example shows a very basic setup with a 2 core CPU, 4 GBs of RAM and 80 GB of SSD. This is quite enough for the installation itself and to share/upload a couple of small projects, but surely won't be enough for productions workloads. A few example configurations: https://helpcenter.graphisoft.com/knowledgebase/64443/
- monitoring: running out of resources can significantly hinder the teamwork performance in ARCHICAD and running out of disk space can even result in data corruption. So the best practice is to monitor at least the CPU, RAM usage and the disk space, allowing ample of headroom.
- security: accessing a server over the Internet (WAN) poses a great security risk, so it is critically important to apply encryption on the communication. Without that, sensitive BIM data might be exposed to unwanted audiences. Depending on the confidentiality level of the hosted projects this needs to be carefully considered. The two most typical methods for encryption on the communication level are HTTPS - by adding reverse proxies in front of the setup - or VPN - channeling all traffic through and encrypted channel
- data safety: it is highly recommended to configure a backup for your data for situations where the unexpected happens
All of these factors require a quite a bit of IT expertise and require additional components. Both of these influence the overall cost of the chosen solution, so take that into consideration when looking for the best alternative.
From the GRAPHISOFT perspective we recommend the following solutions to have access to a BIMcloud that is available over the internet:
- involve our local GRAPHISOFT teams and channel into the conversation to get help in designing and implementing a setup that meets your needs/requirements and is supported by us
- consider BIMcloud as a Service, where we - GRAPHISOFT - take care all of these for you. You can sign up for BIMcloud as a Service for a monthly/yearly fee. (due to the COVID situation currently we have a special offer: https://www.graphisoft.com/covid-19/