The Global Archicad Community

Stay informed. Get help. Share your knowledge.

Topics specific to the scripting and development of Library Parts and Libraries using Param-O or the Geometric Description Language – GDL. (Example: How do you use “REQUEST” GDL commands?)

Moderators: ejrolon, Barry Kelly, Karl Ottenstein, LaszloNagy, gkmethy, rmasaki, Akos Somorjai, Peter Baksa, Csilla Mai

Code: Select all
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\GRAPHISOFT\ARCHICAD\ARCHICAD <version>\GSModeler\Better GDL Tube Triangulation
Maybe Peter can shed some light onto this one :)
These registry keys are experimental features. We don't want to keep compatibility with their values, they might change. They aren't stored in the plan, others might see the model differently.

This one particularly is about how the longitudinal faces between the nodes are triangulated into two parts.
Peter Baksa wrote:Yes, the tricky part is the direction of the 0° direction on that plane. It is the projection of the Z axis to the plane, but sometimes is flipped 180° so the tube is less twisted. Sometimes this flipping is not needed for the model, but it can't be controlled intuitively.
I recall passing thru this on an object I scripted ages ago (With the precious help of many good friends here :D ) to INFOR, our local representative here in Portugal. It was/is a Curb/Gutter object that became some sort of obsolete with the creation of the Railing Tool. In this object I faced this weird distortions and work around it by creating a "Pseudo Tube" with individual Ruled segments where the profile joins were perpendicular to the xy plane. It still works, but is full of internal errors, and besides this people found it overkill for the purpose. I recently found a copy of it floating in the internet by a colleague from Mexico. :D
Anyway... If anyone is interested, I post it here in attachment.

@Hmooslechner

Great progress Heimo!
Hmooslechner wrote:There is another problem with streets: in curved sections, they usually are broader than in straigt directions - sections. Here the tube-command comes to its "boarders". The trailing-curve comes into the topic.
Yes. I think that a proper road/street tool will have to be much more complex than that. :(
Perhaps your object, instead of creating a single profile geometry, it could define the axis of the road and two separate profiles for the curbs. Then, by GDL you could generate a txt file with a point cloud of the curb path nodes. With this file we could automatically create a Mesh. What do you think?
Attachments
(146.3 KiB) Downloaded 28 times
I'm not sure if I'm entering this thread at the right time, but I am looking to use this amazing code snippet to create a tool for making metal flashing and copings for 2D details.

Without modifications, applying the Double Line as the 2D linetype I can create bend and ends. At the very least, I'd like to filet the right angles so that they look break-formed.

Has anyone used this poly line for the representation of bent metal or membranes?