The Global Archicad Community

Stay informed. Get help. Share your knowledge.

Topics specific to the scripting and development of Library Parts and Libraries using Param-O or the Geometric Description Language – GDL. (Example: How do you use “REQUEST” GDL commands?)

Moderators: ejrolon, Barry Kelly, Karl Ottenstein, LaszloNagy, Gordana Radonic, nbalogh, gkmethy, mnguyen, rmasaki, Akos Somorjai, Peter Baksa, Csilla Mai

By Podolsky
The last artwork - it's just an artwork. Can be used in 'about' section of UI - with the list of developers names. Or in documentation. Also as a logo in preview.
I mentioned before - I have quite a lot of ideas to share. Currently I'm busy with some project but will come back, as soon as will have more free time.
For now I just give more time for users to think about and come with fresh ideas. Why I'm constantly asking about sketches - because I realise might exist people who have some ideas for the objects and interface - but not so good with GDL, when another person can be more advanced with programming - just take an idea and start implementing it into the code. Something like that...
Things are already getting fractured, is this a thread for logos or code or what?
if we are to follow a specific order of operations that we all dictate should that not be the first item to tackle?
if we cant all focus on what is the task at hand then this isnt going to go anywhere.

I do agree that sketches of ideas are needed to make sure everyone understands an idea, but we are far from needing logos?

or graphics unless they directly relate to the current equation trying to be solved.

I am all in on contribution but we still have not actual starting point.

I think like others have said, we need to vote on whats most needed. not to complicated. but useful to all and maybe interesting enough yet simple enough to get others involved.

and maybe even a complicated object for things suggested before. i use toggle hotspots everywhere just like cadswift, maybe the users who are more knowledgeable start working on some basic macros?

im not going to sketch ideas for something that doesnt have a chance at happening. lets be smart with time.
we need ground rules and a moderator to help hold us all to them. so there is no bias and the threads stay clean.
By Braza
Ok. Here is my suggestion: Road Design Object.
It is an object based in the Dynamic Polyline Object (developed by SinceV6, Seneca and Heimo) that help placing interpolated point for road design. Here is a sketch:
Road Design Object Scheme.jpg
Road Design Object Scheme.jpg (77.22 KiB) Viewed 290 times

Please be gentle. :mrgreen:
Cheers,
By vistasp
Braza wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 6:53 pmOk. Here is my suggestion: Road Design Object.
A road object that can branch (or connect cleanly with others) is much needed! Not sure if that's possible... It may be necessary for intersections to be separate objects.
Braza wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 6:53 pm
Ok. Here is my suggestion: Road Design Object.
It is an object based in the Dynamic Polyline Object (developed by SinceV6, Seneca and Heimo) that help placing interpolated point for road design.
This seems to be a good idea - but not nescessary with the Polyline - it could (should) get a fixed number of editabel hotspots what would make it much simpler to control.

All about this task: We should not only deposit GDL-splits for everyone-solutiions. We should also post ideas about needed objects ordered in the same categories as the normal Archicad-library does as extra task here - some sort of GDL-wishlist - also for GDL-Script-splits..

Personally - i now try to solve some problems with the ability of GDL to find its own insertion-Level-nr. for the use of library-parts which should cross several project-levels like my new stairway through the whole project.
like this:

What i think of GDL-library-parts which are usesing external scripts: I personally dont like this. In my opinion, every part should hold evering it needs in itself.
By Braza
Hey Heimo, (Sorry for the pun :) )

Hmooslechner wrote:This seems to be a good idea - but not nescessary with the Polyline - it could (should) get a fixed number of editabel hotspots what would make it much simpler to control.
I suggested the Polyline because left and right "Curbs" are not always a straight single segment. It also can have arcs and assume a very complex shape. IMO the Dynamic Polyline is perfect for this.

Hmooslechner wrote:All about this task: We should not only deposit GDL-splits for everyone-solutiions. We should also post ideas about needed objects ordered in the same categories as the normal Archicad-library does as extra task here - some sort of GDL-wishlist - also for GDL-Script-splits..
Agreed. This Open Source Project Section would need a dedicated Wish Section to check the real need of an Open Source Project. BTW I see this Open Source Project Section not only for GDL objects and Macros. It can (and should) be used for Property Expressions, Surface Textures, Fills, etc.

Hmooslechner wrote:Personally - i now try to solve some problems with the ability of GDL to find its own insertion-Level-nr. for the use of library-parts which should cross several project-levels like my new stairway through the whole project.
Your stair object looks amazing. Try to get some help/insights from Peter Baksa from the GDL Library Department.

Hmooslechner wrote:What i think of GDL-library-parts which are usesing external scripts: I personally dont like this. In my opinion, every part should hold evering it needs in itself.
Well... It depends in the kind of object/tool you are trying to develop. If it is a single object with a simple purpose then yes its good to have it all in a single package. But it is a set of GDL objects that may do different tasks but share some scripts/routines then it is good to have a shared Macro for this packaged in an .lcf file.

Anyway... Lets wait for some other suggestions to define which will be the Pilot Project. :)

Take care and be safe you all. This pandemic is still lurking in the shadows.

Cheers,
By Podolsky
Hi guys.
I would like to make some notes. Because it's open source project with no financial support - that means anyone who is reading or writhing posts here - is potential moderator, owner, developer, designer, client etc. There is no centre, no big brother who is watching you - you are centre. Anyone who wants to do any implementation - just do it, not just write about it - 'it needs to be done this and this'. I might understand when person requesting something from Graphisoft, because he is a client, who paid to Graphisoft, but here - completely different situation.

Road is very good idea. I also had some thoughts about it. My idea was - that road shall have kerb stones and paving - as part of itself. It shall have composite fill structure in section (to represent real layers of the road structure). It probably must be controlled with several hotspots and automatically calculate right slope, following road slope regulations. As you know - Road has minimum and maximum slopes. Would be good to search for professional engineering literature about road design.
Connections between road parts shall happen as in toy railway - straight part, bended part, branch, cross...
Also road shall have manholes and drainage.

Anyone knows where to get road design learning book for civil engineers?
By Braza
Hi Podolsky,

Regarding the Moderator thing, suggested by Seneca, I think it is a good idea. Not to be the "Big Brother", but to draw some focus or broad vision when needed. But yes... Everyone is allowed to join as long as he/she has somethin useful to say or do/script for the project. I mean all Pro Bono.

About Road Object: I think we have to deliver a simple object for a difficult task. The main problem for road modeling, is not the curb, manhole or paving. We have the Railing tool for curbs, Existent Library Parts for manholes and Meshes (With the Composite Mesh Object :D). The real problem is to get the correct node heights of the mesh to get the correct road slope according to the surveyor drawing or the Construction Codes, right? And yes. Some feedback from users doing real life road design would be very appreciated. But for now, and before getting into the details of it (We still don't know if its a priority for the most of us), I think we should wait for other suggestions. IMO.

Cheers,
By sinceV6
Hi,

I understand the wish, but not what it would solve, in the sense that assuming you get the scripted object... You model the 3 road polylines based on (maybe tracing) the surveyors drawing just to get node heights that you then export to xyz and bring back as a mesh to basically complete the surface of the road? If the surveyor drawing already has node height, why not ask for the xyz data?

While I like the suggestion, I think it would be a complex object for a task that can be solved (granted, to a certain extent) with the current tool set. It has been asked before. A proposed solution using mesh here. So if you are tracing with the polylines, why not trace directly with the mesh, which would be the end result anyway.

I don't think AC is the right tool for complex road design. There are other capable software solutions for that.

When I say I like the suggestion is because I remember the object shown by Fender Katsalidis in the Building Together conference last year (?). I thought it was great. The elevator object they showed also gave me some new ideas for mine.

Braza wrote: I think we should wait for other suggestions. IMO.
Cheers,
Agreed, and the way Braza suggested, simple explanation of the desired outcome or use and an image works great.

Best regards.