The Global Archicad Community

Stay informed. Get help. Share your knowledge.

Everything about using Libraries and Library Parts - Doors/Windows/Objects/Stairs etc. (Example: How can I display a Transom above my Door?)

Moderators: ejrolon, Barry Kelly, Karl Ottenstein, LaszloNagy, gkmethy, Gergely Feher

By Karl Ottenstein
Many of the doors in the 8.1 US library allow for the use of a Custom Panel style (see attached image) ... which is a custom library part saved by the user.

I know that I've seen the documentation for how the panels are suposed to be built (size, what pieces are above/below project zero, is the slab saved as if it were a door ... or as an ordinary part, etc.) ... but I can't seem to find it in any of my searches. I can hack and figure it out, but would rather not take the time ... and want to pass the documentation on to a friend.

Can someone point me in the right direction?

Thanks,
Karl
Attachments
custom-panel.gif
custom-panel.gif (6.89 KiB) Viewed 7876 times
By Aussie John
Karl
the door leafs are macros and as such are ordinary objects. (look in dw macros of main Archicad lib)
-TIP select the macro name in the door GDL script and "command/option O" to jump to the macro script

In early versions the macro was just a .gdl file, Now of course they are .gsm files

below is the script for a simple flush leaf. The base of the object represents the face of the door

! door_panel_A /modified by VL 3/1/94/
! width, height, thickness

block a,b,c
end
Aussie John wrote:the door leafs are macros and as such are ordinary objects. (look in dw macros of main Archicad lib)
Thanks, John... I've read the code. I'm looking for the DOCUMENTATION to give to a typical end-user?

I know I've seen a PDF file from Graphisoft or elsewhere with the information on the new door types and constructing custom panels ... just can't find it.

Thanks,
Karl
By Sergio
Karl Ottenstein wrote:...I'm looking for the DOCUMENTATION to give to a typical end-user?

I know I've seen a PDF file from Graphisoft or elsewhere with the information on the new door types and constructing custom panels ... just can't find it.
Could this be what you're looking for? http://www.graphisoftus.com/ArchiTIPs/A ... %20101.pdf. I think the original post on this came from you in http://archicad-talk.graphisoft.com/vie ... +door#9850

There used to be a way to format these links in a more readable format, but I can't find it anymore - you'll just have to suffer... :wink:
Karl,
at the US graphisoft site there is a PDF in the download section about new storefront -door-windows :wink:
On page 8 there is a small description about the use of custom panel:

"Custom Panel
Step 1 – Create custom Panel on the floor plan using ArchiCAD elements such
as slabs walls etc.
Step 2 – Save the panel as an object, remember the name of the object
(File/GDL objects/Save as…)
Step 3 – In the Door Setting Dialog select the door you would like to edit.
Step 4 – Select the Custom Panel Option for the “Door Panel” parameter.
Step 5 – Enter the name of the object, without the file extension, to the
Custom Panel Parameter value field."

HTH
Petros
Petros Ioannou wrote:Karl,
at the US graphisoft site there is a PDF in the download section about new storefront -door-windows :wink:
On page 8 there is a small description about the use of custom panel:
Thank you, Petros! I skipped that link numerous times since I had no interest in doing Storefront Windows and Doors :wink: ... but residential ones. Indee, the instructions are there as you copied them:
http://tr.graphisoftus.com/

but they are indeed skimpy instructions. To avoid distortion, one would assume that the door panel (leaf) has to be built to the exact size desired ... and the steps do not indicate if project zero refers to the center of the core of the door (for making door trim appear more to the inside or outside), etc. So, it looks like I will have to play with this.

Does anybody use this custom panel feature?

Thanks,
Karl
Sergio wrote:I think the original post on this came from you ...
Thanks, Sergio ... but that was about building an entire custom door ... and this is a special feature apparently only in the US library where you can take most existing AC library doors and keep the frame and all other parameters, and substitute your own custom panel (leaf). Petros found the reference below...although they do not show an example in that PDF.

Thanks again to both of you for looking!
Karl
By HANIEL
Karl Ottenstein wrote:but they are indeed skimpy instructions. To avoid distortion, one would assume that the door panel (leaf) has to be built to the exact size desired ... and the steps do not indicate if project zero refers to the center of the core of the door (for making door trim appear more to the inside or outside), etc. So, it looks like I will have to play with this.

Does anybody use this custom panel feature?
I created my own DIY DOOR a few years ago (objects Online). The proceedure that worked for me is as follows. I guess that it is the same for these doors:
1 DRAW YOUR SASH OR DOOR LEAF in the plan window with whatever tools you need.
* Most useful will be the slab tool.
* Set the bottom left corner to '0,0, the origin.
* Set the bottom face of the door at 0 to storey.
* Make the door 810x1980mm or 6'6"x2'8". The doors parameters will then scale it to other sizes.
* The top surface will be the inside face of the door.
* The left side will be the hinge stile.
* Select the finished materials you require as they can not be changed later except by changing this model and regenerating the door leaf or sash.
* Cut a section through the object to check alignment, render to check materials.

It is good to see this functionality getting incorporated in the basic libraries - if only in the USA so far!