The Global ARCHICAD Community

Stay informed. Get help. Share your knowledge.

Hardware specific issues - computers, graphics cards, mice/input devices, system benchmarks, protection key issues, etc.

Moderators: Karl Ottenstein, LaszloNagy, ejrolon, Barry Kelly, gkmethy

By vortextheory
is anyone using an egpu and gpu render based software.

I'm keen to explore a more mobile setup and completely ditch the tower sitting on my desk.
By sboydturner
For the cost of an eGPU enclosure plus a card you could have a dedicated PC with multiple cards that would have superior performance.

Using a Remote Desktop connection you could work on the road and send the rendering jobs to the rendering station in the office

Regards
Scott
By vortextheory
no doubt.
But an egpu is definitely more portable, i'm not a fan of multiple computers and moving files around.
Going to wait until the new AMD 3000 Cpu's come out, before buying anything.
I think about computers all the time, probably too much...
TwinMotion - now owned by Epic - is (almost) entirely GPU based. I downloaded the now-free app yesterday and it maxed out my GPU [Radeon Pro Vega 64 with 16 GB] but used almost none of my 10 cores. Insanely impressive ... although it felt like my Mac was going to melt from the heat generated! I have yet to figure out how to generate images with custom pixel dimensions through...

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=66809

https://www.unrealengine.com/en-US/twinmotion/download
By sboydturner
I'm not suggesting the workstation travel with you, you would only need the laptop. The workstation stays in the office and you connect to it via a remote desktop session upload and start the rendering task and continue working on your laptop while rendering happening.

Regards,
Scott