The Global ARCHICAD Community

Stay informed. Get help. Share your knowledge.

Hardware specific issues - computers, graphics cards, mice/input devices, system benchmarks, protection key issues, etc.

Moderators: Barry Kelly, Karl Ottenstein, LaszloNagy, ejrolon, gkmethy

Erwin Edel wrote:
Fri Aug 02, 2019 8:04 am
Do you still have easy access to RAM or do you need to lift off the glass cover etc to do this?
The 27" 2017 & 2019 iMacs have an accessible door on the back of the machine just under the base connection. It is very easy to open and add RAM as it was designed for user customization. From what I understand you canNOT do this with the iMac Pro nor the 21" iMacs.

It really is this easy!
(P.S. This is not my video. I wouldn't do a "how to" video with my shirt off, LOL!)

Last edited by Rex Maximilian on Fri Aug 02, 2019 1:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rex Maximilian wrote:
Fri Aug 02, 2019 1:45 am
Stress Co. wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2019 4:36 pm
In case you missed it. New iMacs are out.
Some tips if you get a 2019 iMac:
1) do NOT buy extra RAM from Apple. You can buy quality third party RAM and install it yourself very easily for 1/3 of the cost. If you buy 32GB online for $200 at most, you can install it and wind up with 40GB RAM.
2) Get an SSD inside, and NOT a Fusion drive.
3) As for the CPU and GPU, that's up to you, but I went for it. When you're spending $3K plus for a machine, what's a few hundred dollars more for the fastest CPU and GPU?
I'd add to that with:
If going for a faster configuration, in some cases, it's better to "Upgrade" from a higher base configuration.
For example:

A 3.1GHz 6-core i5 upgraded to a 3.6GHz 8-core i9 (w/1 TB SSD) runs $2,999

A 3.7GHz 6-core i5 upgraded to a 3.6Ghz 8-core i9 (w/ 1TB SSD) runs the same $2,999

BUT you get a a Radeon Pro 580X w/ 8GB memory, instead of the Radeon Pro 575X w/ 4 GB memory

With what I saved buying the iMac over the iMac Pro, I was able to get a second 4K monitor (and then some).

Check the refurbished listings as well. Only caveat is the current models may not show up yet
and they don't ship with extended keyboards.
Stress Co. wrote:
Fri Aug 02, 2019 2:50 pm
Check the refurbished listings as well. Only caveat is the current models may not show up yet and they don't ship with extended keyboards.
I tend to use my machines well past their "expiration dates." I'll order a new Mac, so my previous machine becomes my backup or mobile machine, as is the case with a laptop. But what has been biting me lately is my older Mac not being supported in running the latest OS and therefore not running the latest ArchiCAD. So I like to wait until a refresh from Apple occurs, (as it did in March with their iMacs), and then purchase one so I have the maximum shelf life with its specs, as they relate to running the latest OS or softwares in the future.

Other than that I like the idea of refurbished machines from Apple and do recommend them to friends and family not needing the same requirements as me in the long run.