The Global ARCHICAD Community

Stay informed. Get help. Share your knowledge.

View only topic: Collection of Best Practices edited by the moderator. (Please post your tips into one of the topics under section II.)

Moderators: Barry Kelly, Karl Ottenstein, LaszloNagy, ejrolon, gkmethy

By fuzzymike2002
Is it possible to have a stone wall with the actual profile of the stones modeled?

Not sure if this question is so clear.....

I do not want the appearance of roughness in a rendered view, nor do I need a vectorial hatch on a smooth wall. What I am after is a rough stone wall in general 3D.

I hope this is clear.

Mike
By Djordje
fuzzymike2002 wrote:Is it possible to have a stone wall with the actual profile of the stones modeled?

Not sure if this question is so clear.....

I do not want the appearance of roughness in a rendered view, nor do I need a vectorial hatch on a smooth wall. What I am after is a rough stone wall in general 3D.

I hope this is clear.

Mike
ArchiWall by Cigraph. Expect LOTS of polygons.
By Dwight
you would need to model it.

This is not so hard.
What's rough stone?
Boulders, flat stacks, what?
I assume irregular rectangles.

Working in plan view as an elevation [ie; laid down], you'd build a matrix of irregular rectangle meshes with undulating surfaces. Do an infill with mortar and bob is your uncle.

The panel is "stood up" by making it a library obejct from a 3D view from wherever you think the top of it should be. This will make it into a panel applied to wall faces.

You might like to emulate a StoneCAD image to make your stone match their stone.... for a good texturemap overlay.
Attachments
stone model.jpg
By Srinivas
I am not sure, how much help this could be, but here is how I model the attached stone wall image.

I made 2 profiles, one with the entire stone and the other with the mortar finish and them place them on to the model, this i did for one of our client who is about to print their 3d model from my file.

I will attach remaining pics in the next posts.
Attachments
Stone wall.JPG
By Srinivas
Here is the Stone Profile
Attachments
Stone Profile 1.JPG
By Srinivas
Here is the Cement Mortar Profile, I generally give this slightly more thickness than the stone profile.
Attachments
mortar.JPG