The Global Archicad Community

Stay informed. Get help. Share your knowledge.

Tips and tricks, suggestions, problems. (regularly monitored by Administrators)

Moderators: ejrolon, Barry Kelly, Karl Ottenstein, LaszloNagy, gkmethy, apolgar, GSHQfadmin

By TurboGlider
More than me that is tired of all bot-spam on this forum we had last month? I think a higher securitylevel on registrations and not allow guest to post would be nice.
TurboGlider wrote:More than me that is tired of all bot-spam on this forum we had last month? I think a higher securitylevel on registrations and not allow guest to post would be nice.
I second you, TurboGlider. This forum becomes unreadable.
I agree that we need more clever automated means of blocking spammers, especially now that we have a new PM spammer / spambot at work too.

Djordje and I (and other moderators) clean up a huge amount of spam each day. You can tell which days we are too busy to be active on the forums by when the spam sits for more than a few hours.

I probably average about 20 minutes a day purging spam on a volunteer basis.

There is a somewhat improved registration process, but I agree that there is lots more that could/should be done by our (also overworked) forum administrator. We have talked about requiring someone to pass a quiz of some basic ArchiCAD knowledge before they can post - but I fear that would stop newcomers from being able to post legitimate questions.

I will point the admin to this thread, if he isn't already aware of it, so please post any and all ideas you have for how to solve this increasingly annoying problem!

Thanks,
Karl
Hello Karl,
You wrote:
"Djordje and I (and other moderators) clean up a
huge amount of spam each day."
You surly do and this large chunk of time and
effort on your part is much appreciated but we
need to figure out some solution because it is
not right that you moderators, on a volunteer basis,
should be so burdened. I think we all should try to
think of ways to deal with this issue. We probably
cannot solve it completely but maybe cut down on
this junk to a tolerable level.
I do not understand the psychology of spammers but
I do notice that often they will register on the same day
or a day earlier as the day they post so it might be
somewhat of a discouragement for them if there was
a waiting period, say five days, before a new member
could post. This assumes that part of the psychology
of a spammer is the need for instant gratification.
Just an observation and suggestion. I hope others
will come up with other suggestions.
Thank you,
Peter Devlin
We all have something in common, :wink:

A Dongle that has a serial number, and also the serial number if on the edu version.

Also why isn't there compulsory fields in the registration to put in your AC version,Computer specs etc? People get sick of asking the same question to all new users.
By Erich
I am sure you all know of the method of using a graphic with an embedded word that you must type out if you want to buy something online. That is a system that was developed specifically to ensure that a real person is on the other end of the computer connection. Perhaps we should have something similar incorporated into the initial signup process.

While this certainly won't eliminate all spam, it would eliminate any automatic systems and the extra time/step might discourage any people that are spamming manually.
Removing posts manually, you will always be later than spammers.
As told previously, why not to force new posters (5 posts?) to be accepted by moderators before publication?
A new comer can wait for 20 minuts, earth will not stop to turn.

Add to this the anti-robot protection, which Erich was talking about. Plus banishment, etc...
Looking at various forums, both combined methods, offer a decent level of security.

I guess it will be more extra work for you, administrator and moderators.
It is a war, take the efficient weapons.
Erich wrote:I am sure you all know of the method of using a graphic with an embedded word that you must type out if you want to buy something online. That is a system that was developed specifically to ensure that a real person is on the other end of the computer connection. Perhaps we should have something similar incorporated into the initial signup process.
phpBB that this forum use support this kind of registrations. Maybe this forums version are too old though, can't tell for sure. But if it support it, than it's only a checkbox that should be checked.
TurboGlider wrote:
Erich wrote:I am sure you all know of the method of using a graphic with an embedded word that you must type out if you want to buy something online. That is a system that was developed specifically to ensure that a real person is on the other end of the computer connection. Perhaps we should have something similar incorporated into the initial signup process.
phpBB that this forum use support this kind of registrations. Maybe this forums version are too old though, can't tell for sure. But if it support it, than it's only a checkbox that should be checked.
If you log out and start the registration process, you'll see that there already is a graphic confirmation. (Please close the window then and don't create another user id!)

I like the idea of a time delay between registration and posting as well as moderator approval of the first 'x' posts, if that process could be made efficient.

Keep the ideas coming!

Thanks,
Karl