The Global ARCHICAD Community

Stay informed. Get help. Share your knowledge.

Discussions about managing ARCHICAD in architectural practices (Project Setup, Templates, Attributes, Migration, Compatibility with Previous Versions, Preferences/Work Environment, User/Project/Application Administration/Management etc.)

Moderators: Barry Kelly, Karl Ottenstein, LaszloNagy, ejrolon, gkmethy

Thank you Neil. I would love to be able to see, in practice, some of the things you mentioned. Like using composite walls to preset various attributes. I need to seriously edit our line and fill types and develop a new 'start plan.

It is unfortunate that we no longer have the Archicad user groups in our area. A lot of these type of issues were discussed and resolved through the shared knowledge & experience of the group. Sometimes, a member would do a presentation on something they had developed for their office or a management method that worked for them. Perhaps I can convince our rep to have a webinar user group once a month as a replacement.
Hi Nick,
I've attached a section of our process manual which sets out the 'theory and practise' of drawing walls in Archicad which takes into account change management. One of the things I've found once this process is in place is that even if the technician gets it wrong it is relatively easy to find and address as you can manipulate and assess variations in the walls via schedules before doing any visual checks.
You also need to understand that the general policy in our teams is that all things are drawn with default settings within the elements (line, fill and pen weights ). Individual setting of elements attributes is discouraged as you can't change the whole project at once if twenty settings are in used. Our cad process becomes mandated at project file level rather than by the CAD manager. The team then just draws with the defaults and they are automatically in sync. Most CAD systems are this way but ours works best when the basics are ' dummy proofed' within the template.

Cheers.
Attachments
(35.64 KiB) Downloaded 1919 times