The Global ARCHICAD Community

Stay informed. Get help. Share your knowledge.

Discussions closely related to ARCHICAD. (Example: Do we need a Linux version of ARCHICAD?)

Moderators: Karl Ottenstein, LaszloNagy, ejrolon, Barry Kelly, gkmethy, mtron, Csaba Kézér

User avatar
By Maurice_S
#151187
Chazz wrote:
owen wrote:
Rakela Raul wrote:you are always going to have to keep copies of your old AC libraries.
One of the longstanding issues with Archicad and its abysmal library management is that when you upgrade, the software does not upgrade the library at the same time, automatically. I think this idea of maintaing old versions of the libraries makes about as much sense as maintaining old versions of the software itself. It's an insane piece of archaic hoop-jumping foolishness.

I prefer the iPhoto approach. Whenever you upgrade the software it upgrades the photo library database and you are good to go. You never look back.
I agree with your comments about updating the libraries when you open an old version file. It becomes ridiculous to have a v6.5 file upgraded progressively each time the new version of AC turns up, then spend a few hours either changing library items to the new version or loading multiple libraries to blunder on (then later having to deal with in my case v7, v8, v 9, v10 library items of almost the same thing) . I have a project going from 2002 that I have had to edit all the library items so I can use the latest v10 (at the time). I just didn't feel the urge to go to v12 on that one.

Here a big hint for GS...make opening old version files as seamless as possible and you will remove one major impediment for upgrading annually (IMO)
User avatar
By owen
#151189
andrewzarb wrote:In regards to 64bit here is a link

http://cadstudio.ru/news/archicad/289-a ... -2009.html

I'd only consider it a rumour at this stage, but it would be good.

In regards to library parts; the project could store all the parts that are being used (like a .pla) and allow you to use parts from any libraries without having to load the whole library.
I really doubt GS would have managed to get AC 13 to 64bit ... it has been discussed elsewhere but basically to do this would require a fairly fundamental re-write of large parts of the program. However if true i think this + TW2 would make AC13 a fantastic upgrade, regardless of any other new features.

As for libraries, being able to load individual library parts rather than whole libraries could work. You can sort of do it now but they show up in the 'Other' folder which can have problems. If the file only loaded used objects, but still allowed browsing the full library this could be good. I still don't see what advantage storing the object in the file would have other than removing the PLA step for portability. The downside is keeping objects in all these files up to date.
#151213
[Message delayed a day or two due to forum problem...]

Just a comment on the general upgrade issue. As far as I recall, since 6.0, Graphisoft has not released updates or hotfixes to versions other than the 'current' one - with the exception of the recent AC 11 hotfix.

So, generally, even if one does not see huge feature-benefits for their workflow in a new version, it should be noted that the new version has hundreds of bug fixes to existing features ... and will continue to receive bug fixes. For many, that is reason enough to upgrade.

I disagree about the hassle of moving projects to a new version. Through 9.0, it was relatively easy. 10 introduced integrated layouts and so moving to 10 and above from any 9 and below version was a jump (maybe an hour per project). But I haven't seen any hassle in moving from 10 to 11 to 12 etc. As Raul says, that is just my experience - maybe I've been lucky.

Cheers,
Karl
User avatar
By Dennis Lee
#151223
As a relatively new user (since v10 - yes I've read about horror stories on v8 ), I agree with Karl's assessment. I've had absolutely no trouble upgrading projects from 10 to 11, 11 to 12, sometimes in the middle of the project.

Bring on the new features! I'm ready for whatever my subscription fee is going to give me for the next year!
By oreopoulos
#151232
Karl Ottenstein wrote:[Message delayed a day or two due to forum problem...]

So, generally, even if one does not see huge feature-benefits for their workflow in a new version, it should be noted that the new version has hundreds of bug fixes to existing features ... and will continue to receive bug fixes. For many, that is reason enough to upgrade.

Generally this is wrong. Bug fixes are not "new features". So how about selling V13 with only bug fixes. Is this an upgrade? No. Bug fixes should be done free of charge.

Ofcourse i understand that this is a part of moving on. But a selling point NO.

I also understand that 64bits + TW2 are great steps (and difficult ones).
The problem is that those are for big fishes. I hope we will see new features for us, small fishes.

If you ask me if i would pay for 64bits and TW2 the answer would be definatelly no (since they will have no impact in my job). The problem is i already paid for them (through subscription). Probably , if this are the major stuff in AC13 i will stop upgrading AC for many versions, till it actually evolves.

Hope i am wrong about new features, but previous versions point to that direction, and 64bits and tw2 are already very time consuming to code, so i am expecting little. :(
User avatar
By Rakela Raul
#151235
Mister Ore (forgot the spelling :oops: )..dont put Karl against the wall..he is a great help to this place and one of the few very close to GS :wink: ..
so be nice !!

It is clear that if GS is doing something with the libs it is because there is a deficiency there.....simple...and we should be durn glad for that !!

the thing is, why new features ?? why just not fixing whats existing !!
maybe a lighter version, dont know..schedules....a zero bugs version x example... :wink:

no reason to argue for this mickey mouse stuff....im more concerd with the H1 virus to be honest w u :D :D
#151236
Karl Ottenstein wrote:I haven't seen any hassle in moving from 10 to 11 to 12 etc.
Karl, do you save your projects as archives and open them with the latest library? Or do you keep each older library on your computer? Sorry to get off topic.
By oreopoulos
#151241
Rakela Raul wrote: the thing is, why new features ?? why just not fixing whats existing !!
maybe a lighter version, dont know..schedules....a zero bugs version x example... :wink:
Simply because fixing is in the obligations of the seller.

Have you seen anyone in the market charging bug fixes?

If you do a mistake in your building drawings , do you charge for correcting them?
User avatar
By Rakela Raul
#151244
If you do a mistake in your building drawings , do you charge for correcting them?
r u kidding ?? dont even wanna hear the word attorney / esquire / subpoena /defendant / plaintiff / deposition / case no./ !!! as a matter of fact, i will make the changes tonite !! :cry:

im with you Oreopoulos...not much we can do about it...it is what it is

but we have the choice not 2 get on the train...we are not sheeps
  • 1
  • 16
  • 17
  • 18
  • 19
  • 20
  • 23