I am having issues with getting views from my detail project onto sheets in my actual projects. There is no Teamwork involved.
I made a separate .PLN file for office standard details etc. so that I can "drag and drop" onto sheets in my other actual projects. However when I do this the standard detail doesn't load. It tries to update and never finished.
The drawing update window says communication error
I know its been a while since this was posted, but I may have a solution which seems to have finally solved a similar issue I had.
I also use separate file to house all my details, and for some reason I was unable to get the external views to update even with the details file being open in a separate ArchiCAD instance.
My current solution was as follows:
- Make sure all externally linked detail views are all set to "manual" update type (this is done in the details file). This is to avoid any issues of actually displaying view content. So in case of ANY issues, you'd at least have the last good view shown.
- Initially copy over individual views or entire sheet of details.
- Update any details by copying over a new, revised detail and delete current one.
For some reason ArchiCAD would not recognize the details drawing running inside a separate instance of ArchiCAD and just indicated it as (linked)
in the Project Chooser
. Whenever this was the case and the external drawing was not shown as (active)
, the update would hang and ultimately fail (image below)
Today I ran across a performance troubleshooting guide
which pointed to the NVIDIA Streamer Service
as a culprit for a different issue involving communication between ArchiCAD instances. But it finally seems to have solved my issue as well, which I believe is what you were experiencing.
relevant portion from the linked guide > wrote:Cause:
One possible cause of this problem is an nVidia graphic card related application, called nVidia GeForce Experience. The application disturbs the Inter-process Communication (IPC) between the ArchiCAD instances. The memory being used up is the consequence of this disturbed connection between the two ArchiCAD instance.
Stop and disable ‘NVIDIA Streamer Service’.
- Launch the Computer Management by right clicking on ‘Computer’ (select ‘Manage’ from the drop-down menu) or you can also open it from command prompt or from Run (the run command for opening: compmgmt.msc)
- Double Click on ‘Services and Applications’
- Open ‘Services’
- Select ‘NVIDIA Streamer Service’ and open the Properties from the drop-down menu by right clicking on the service
- Click on ‘Stop’
- Change the Startup Type to ‘Disable’
- Apply the changes
I only just stumbled across this solution, but I've tried opening the project and details in different order, leaving one open and restarting the other, etc... and the details plan is now shown as (active)
when its running, as expected, and update is working just fine.
Hopefully this can be of some help to someone