The Global ARCHICAD Community

Stay informed. Get help. Share your knowledge.

Discussions about any other product with no dedicated forum - MEP Modeler, ARCHICAD Goodies, 3rd-party Add-Ons, operating systems, products of other vendors, etc. (Example: Which Add-On is the best for creating special Stairs?)

Moderators: ejrolon, Barry Kelly, Karl Ottenstein, LaszloNagy, gkmethy

By David Bearss
I see alot of references to this product in the forums but Cadimage website doesn't seem to offer it anymore. Have they discontinued?

I am looking for a decent way to show and account for framing / building materials similar to the way Chief Architect operates. Any suggestions?
By Steve Jepson
ArchiCAD does this as well as any program there is (I think).

You might want to consider this: http://www.archiframe.fi/en/archicad

I have reviewed it a couple of times over the past few years and it does not appear to be anything I can't already do without it. The downside for me is that is works too much like the ArchiCAD Accessory Wall Framing Tool which is not as flexible as must modeling the framing as individual elements.
By David Bearss
Steve,
I have been checking out that product. Am concerned about the price and the quantity takeoff. Fiddling with wall framing accessory and seems to be handy for visualization but I have not figured out how to generate a materials list. Have to simply dive into modeling it myself a bit and see if I can get that to work.
By David Bearss
Steve,
I took your advice and fiddled around with a test project over the holiday and modeled some framing and created some list schemes that work pretty well. Modeling the framing is actually quite easy. Question I have is how to get the actual rafter length to show in the scheme? I can only get the horizontal length to show.
Attachments
(373.51 KiB) Downloaded 72 times
By alexwang32
Not sure what your using to model the rafter, if you're using the rafter object from the ArchiCAD library, you should be able to obtain its length using the Library Part parameter "Lumber Size". It shows the real 3D length as opposed to its 2D projected length ( which is shorter ).

Btw, nice 3D documents! How exactly did you get it to calculate the total length of the studs and plates? I haven't figured it out yet...

I couldn't get the wall accessory tool to work well, it's really buggy and requires a great deal of user intervention in order to display properly. And for my complex profile walls it completely fails to generate a proper framing, it seems to work only for basic composite walls.
Attachments
Screenshot (4).png
By David Bearss
plates and headers are beams. Studs are simply columns and I did as your suggestion and have pre made door and window assemblies.
Have attached scheme settings for each.

I cant seem to navigate to where your screenshot. Could you provide more info? Is that in Scheme Settings?
Attachments
wall plates.png
By alexwang32
For Rafter 21, the way to do this is

1. Go to Add Fields/Library Part Parameters
2. Locate the Rafter object in the ArchiCAD Library/Obkect Library/Wood and Plastic/Rough Carpentry/Shop fabricated structure/Roof construction/
3. Click on it and you should see what I have in the previous screenshot

I see that you're manually modeling the wall framing. This might work for a small house (the windows and doors may prove to be tedious) but for large ones you'd be spending too much time. Cadimage's wall framing accessory was really good, too bad they discontinued. Archicad's wall framing accessory is buggy, e.g. not displaying studs in 3D and not updating windows correctly.
By henrypootel
Hi - Sorry I'm seeing this post so late!
As you've discovered, we did indeed discontinue the Wall Framing tool a couple of years ago i'm afraid.