The Global Archicad Community

Stay informed. Get help. Share your knowledge.

Plot Control, Publishing, Import-Export (DXF/DWG, PDF...), IFC…

Moderators: Karl Ottenstein, LaszloNagy, ejrolon, Barry Kelly, gkmethy

What's your opinion about this wish?

Essential (5)
11
73%
Important (4)
4
27%
Average (3)
No votes
0%
Not important (2)
No votes
0%
Not needed (1)
No votes
0%
User avatar
By ~/archiben
#3614
? the option to have the plotmaker publisher use the drawing number as a default file name rather than the layout name.

? the option to have the layout name and number show as a default in the navigator.

~/archiben
User avatar
By Matthew Lohden
#3615
~/archiben wrote:• the option to have the plotmaker publisher use the drawing number as a default file name rather than the layout name.

• the option to have the layout name and number show as a default in the navigator.

~/archiben
I agree wholeheartedly with these. I would add that publisher should include the layout number and/or name (according to the settings in Naviator) in making the file name. I would also like to see Publisher combined with the Navigator palette as in ArchiCAD (I hope/assume that this is in the works).
User avatar
By Aussie John
#3653
or at very least remeber the previous setting.
and yes the file name saved should reflect the name number setting.

Also I would like to see a revision number option next to the drawing name.
Last edited by Aussie John on Tue Nov 25, 2003 11:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
By ~/archiben
#3663
Aussie John wrote:and yes the file name s(a)ved should reflect the name number setting.
ah. this is a little more complicated that i first thought. good idea to have the file name-to-be-saved taken from the name/number setting . . . except what do you do when you want both in different publishing sets? some sets i need to publish actual drawings, and therefore i want them titled by drawing number. others i need published as a name for x-ref work-in-progress files for consultants. these shouldn't carry a drawing number at all.

i guess the answer could be a toggle at the top of the publisher's 'well' that offers the following:

• use settings in navigator
• use layout name for file name
• use layout number for file name
• use custom

revisions are also something i've been wondering about for a while, john. if it is going to work, it has to work automatically. i don't think that you can always rely on someone typing in the correct revision number each time.

but for it to work automatically, the published output has to be relied on for the revision number to be 'clocked-up'. i.e. whatever plotmaker 'issues' has to be correct: no second chances, or the revision letter/number jumps up. can you guarentee that?! :?

at present, and by default, plotmaker does not update layouts when you first open a layout book. this obviously means that you can always reproduce the last issued revision of a particular layout. i think that this is the correct approach, but it puts a spanner in the works for automatic revision numbering!

so how can it be implemented in a way that is reliable and covers all bases . . .

i'm not sure yet. i think maybe the answer could lie in the index/catalogue files that the publisher creates. the revision letter could be an <autotext> taken from the catalogue.xml file, which in turn could be compared with the actual contents of the directory of drawings, (incase you have deleted a dud?).

it's still a bit shaky as an idea though . . . !

~/archiben
User avatar
By Aussie John
#3666
~/archiben wrote: i don't think that you can always rely on someone typing in the correct revision number each time.
~/archiben
Automatic is great until it doesnt suit what you wish to do.
Maybe a manual override would be required.

I think we can give credit to the user who is probably producing drawings for contract purposes to be able add a revision number maunally
User avatar
By Matthew Lohden
#3690
~/archiben wrote: ah. this is a little more complicated that i first thought. good idea to have the file name-to-be-saved taken from the name/number setting . . . except what do you do when you want both in different publishing sets? some sets i need to publish actual drawings, and therefore i want them titled by drawing number. others i need published as a name for x-ref work-in-progress files for consultants. these shouldn't carry a drawing number at all.
The published name should just use whatever setting of name & number is active when the set is created.
User avatar
By ~/archiben
#3702
Aussie John wrote:I think we can give credit to the user who is probably producing drawings for contract purposes to be able add a revision number maunally
not in this office!!! :D

Matthew Lohden wrote:The published name should just use whatever setting of name & number is active when the set is created.
but having the opportunity to change this once you are in the publisher would be the ideal. i guess this goes back to your first post in this thread matthew - combining the publisher with the navigator.

~/archiben
User avatar
By Matthew Lohden
#3707
~/archiben wrote: but having the opportunity to change this once you are in the publisher would be the ideal. i guess this goes back to your first post in this thread matthew - combining the publisher with the navigator.

~/archiben
You can change the names manually which is what I do now to add sheet numbers.
User avatar
By ~/archiben
#3708
Matthew Lohden wrote:You can change the names manually which is what I do now to add sheet numbers.
yes, i do this too. except that it can only do one at a time, and even when copying and pasting i find this renaming is a little unresponsive to say the least!

what i was proposing was something like the drop-down menu that is in the navigator at present in the left hand publisher well. see attached.

of course if the navigator was combined with the publisher as in archiCAD and as you suggested, this would be easily available.

~/archiben
Attachments
publisherwells.jpg
User avatar
By ~/archiben
#3709
ah.

i have just discovered, albeit a little belatedly, that you only have to set up the numbering thing once for all of your layouts!

you can then use the drop-down 'viewsets' to find this numbered set and then 'clone' them into another set! see attached.

i still stand by my suggestion, however, (and second yours, matthew, for combining the navigator and publisher), in order to streamline the process and offer a more efficient, intuitive control.

~/archiben
Attachments
publisherwell2.jpg