The Global ARCHICAD Community

Stay informed. Get help. Share your knowledge.

Import/Export to other CAD/BIM formats (DWG/DXF, IFC, SketchUp, 3DS etc.), spreadsheets, databases etc.

Moderators: ejrolon, Barry Kelly, Karl Ottenstein, LaszloNagy, gkmethy

By Michael Charek
A TIFF file is a bitmap: a two-dimensional array of differently colored pixels. DXF and DWG are files composed of vectors: lines and shapes described by geometry, which could be in three dimensions. I don't believe you can just turn a TIFF into one of those other file types. You could trace over the lines in a TIFF to create the vectors that make up a DXF or DWG, or perhaps place a TIFF into a DWG or DXF (not sure about that one).
By Djordje
Red wrote:Can a tif file be converted to a dxf or a dwg? If so what program do I need to use.

You need to use a vectorizer - something like Adobe Streamline of yesteryears. Check the software by Consistent Software, the makers of Plan2Model - they also have a pretty smart vectorizing software.

What exactly do you need to do?

Manual tracing is always a (time consuming) option. Then again, correcting the vectorized file is time consuming, too.
By Mathilde Kaplan
It is about time that ArchiCad had its own vectoriser built into the program.
The CAD program I use at work has had one included for the last 2 versions. It also lets you explode text.

I suppose this should be added to the wish list.