The Global ARCHICAD Community

Stay informed. Get help. Share your knowledge.

Discussions closely related to ARCHICAD. (Example: Do we need a Linux version of ARCHICAD?)

Moderators: Karl Ottenstein, LaszloNagy, ejrolon, Barry Kelly, gkmethy, mtron, Csaba Kézér

A friend of mine once showed me the house he had designed with Excel. After creating a square 2D matrix, he filled in the blanks with black space or lines where the wall openings should be.

According to him, he'd been issued his building pemit with these drawings.

He didn't have to learn anything new, either. :D
So here's a screenshot of Revit (on XP, with a skin to make it a bit like a Mac!) in the family editor.

You can see the window in elevation in the background, and in the foreground is the parameters dialog, where you can see that users enter in the height of the vent in the "Bottom Vent Height" field, and the dimension actually controlling the height of the vent has the parameter "BottomWindowVent" (they're two different parameters -- one just doesn't have spaces in it). The logic formula for "BottomWindowVent" checks to see if the user-entered parameter "Bottom Window Vent" is greater than 1'.

It is all fairly easy; you just have to take the time to add it in once you know about this functionality.

I'd LOVE to see this added to ArchiCAD!
Attachments
Revit window.png
Screenshot of family editor
Aaron Bourgoin wrote:A friend of mine once showed me the house he had designed with Excel. After creating a square 2D matrix, he filled in the blanks with black space or lines where the wall openings should be.

According to him, he'd been issued his building pemit with these drawings.

He didn't have to learn anything new, either. :D
Nevermind parametrics in Revit, I think your friend is onto something!

I wonder if Excel can be considered a true BIM program? After extensive research I have to say it's pretty close.

Please find attached my latest design presented in this versatile program. Comments and criticisms welcome. Note the use of photorealistic entourage to give a sense of scale and context.

8)
Attachments
excel_bim1.jpg