The Global ARCHICAD Community

Stay informed. Get help. Share your knowledge.

Discussions about managing ARCHICAD in architectural practices (Project Setup, Templates, Attributes, Migration, Compatibility with Previous Versions, Preferences/Work Environment, User/Project/Application Administration/Management etc.)

Moderators: ejrolon, Barry Kelly, Karl Ottenstein, LaszloNagy, gkmethy

By creative mind
what are the ways i can reduce my project file size?

1)delete unused layers
2)delete unused favorites
3)delete unused materials
4)replace 3d trees with bitmaps

will the above methods help? if yes,
then what is the best method to identify & delete unused favorites,layers & materials?

thanks
By Srinivas
You can purge unused fills, layers etc. through Attribute Manager

you can acess it via Options > Element Attributes > Attribute Manager.

Did you check the compress file option in the Save options dialog? What is your project file size?
Attachments
2010-05-25_File_Size.png
By Erika Epstein
Purging unused attributes, that should be a last resort. Your file is not that large.

What are your computer specs?
By Karl Ottenstein
I'm with Erika: file isn't that big. Sounds more like an underpowered computer on the speed thing.

As for size, another option to reduce file size is to clear the checkbox for storing Navigator Preview data with the file - see attached.

Karl
Attachments
Screen shot 2010-05-25 at 11.36.50 AM.png
By Karl Ottenstein
And yet another save space thing is to clear the checkbox for "Store Drawing in the Project File" in the Drawing settings for each placed drawing (and the Tool itself for subsequent drawings). See attached.
Attachments
Screen shot 2010-05-25 at 11.39.10 AM.png
By Matthew Lohden
This sounds more like a question about the 3D model complexity than the base file size. The two are only very slightly related. You can have a tiny file that generates a huge model, and a small simple model with lots of detailed drawings can result in a large file.

If the model is too complex for the computer to manage whole you can use the marquee to reduce the extents of the model and layers to reduce how much of it is modeled. You can also reduce complexity by simplifying complex items like trees and such.
By Shingo
I find that layouts can make the file very heavy.

If there are unused/unnecessary layouts in the project, try deleting them.
By lec1212
"I find that layouts can make the file very heavy."
Are you sure it's the layouts, not excess images/pdf's placed on them?
Anyway that's the way it seems here.
lec
By Shingo
When I mentioned "layouts", I naturally meant having layouts with either views placed on them, or images (JPG/PDF/whatever).

Often during the working process, we may use layouts to set-up quick prints, and may forget about them after we have printed these layouts?