The Global ARCHICAD Community

Stay informed. Get help. Share your knowledge.

View only topic: Collection of Best Practices edited by the moderator. (Please post your tips into one of the topics under section II.)

Moderators: Barry Kelly, Karl Ottenstein, LaszloNagy, ejrolon, gkmethy

By RobinT
I would like to import a Sketchup component from the 3D Warehouse (a modeled piece of furniture) into ArchiCAD 13 but don't know how. I am reading various answers - do I need the Sketchup Add-On for ArchiCAD, or a Goodie? I don't really know much about Sketchup. By exporting the item as a .dwg I was able to bring it into ArchiCAD as a line drawing but I'd love to have the whole model.
By Krippahl
There are a number of ways to do this, but in you case I would:

1- Export from Sketchup as a .3ds file.
2- Open ArchiCAD, go to Help Menu and click on ArchiCAD xx Downloads
3- Download and install the 3D Studio In Add-on
4- Follow it's instructions
By NCornia
I would use the Google Earth Connections add-on as it requires fewer steps and does not require the pro version of Sketchup (free version does not export to 3ds file).

The GEC add-on allows you to directly import models from the Google 3D warehouse. It also allows you to open .skp files directly in ArchiCAD. Once the add-on is installed, when you go to File>Open you will notice that .skp has been added to the available filetypes to open. The add-on also allows you to import and export from/to Google Earth, etc.

Here is the link to watch demo videos download: http://www.graphisoft.com/products/arch ... gle_earth/

Nicholas
By RobinT
Thank you for this input. The process with the exported 3ds file worked. The objects came in grossly overscaled but I was able to resize them in ArchiCAD. Many thanks again and Happy New Year.