The Global ARCHICAD Community

Stay informed. Get help. Share your knowledge.

Everything related to BIMx and BIMx Docs: functionality, platforms, features, etc.

Moderators: ejrolon, Barry Kelly, Karl Ottenstein, LaszloNagy, gkmethy

By Barry Kelly
Miki Woodie wrote:BIMx should get the Oculus implementation if it wants to maintain relevant.

BIMx already has the stereo left/right view available.
Is it just a matter of getting BIMx to recognise the headset movement as the direction input instead of the mouse?

Sorry I don't know much about it and I'm not sure if this is an Oculus setting to take over control from the mouse or if it has to be programmed into BIMx.
Seems it is so close.

Barry.
By Miki Woodie
Anestis wrote:
Miki Woodie wrote:BIMx should get the Oculus implementation if it wants to maintain relevant. Truth to be said after one reviews the model with Oculus (or Gear VR/VR One) you just don't appreciate flat 3D as much anymore. The path we are using is Sketchup - LightUp - Unity - Rift. Works like a charm.
Simple and fast - and awesome quality.
What I still want is a one button solution. RenderLights have something like that now. And it actually works, but Unity (free version works) is more economic solution.

I gave Renderlights a (quick) shot and my first impressions where kinda underwhelming.
First of all, I cannot get >7-10fps even on a relatively high end PC (i7 3770k@4ghz, 16gb ddr3 ram, GTX670 2gb, even on a simple scene.
Given that the minimum FPS for a good VR experiece are ~65-70, this is not working.
Second problem is that when you activate the oculus mode, you cannot look around using head movements but you have to use the mouse. This is an immersion breaker.
Maybe I'm doing something wrong, anyone else having similar experience?

I'm by all means not a Renderlight expert, but there are few modes and one allows to pre-bake the model. That is increasing the performance dramatically. On my machine the headset movement had been recognized properly. Not sure what problem you might have had.

Barry - this is not just a stereo. It's immersive. You put your Rift on and you are in. It's different.
It could be replicated using the iPad Mini and custom made headset. Check this research we did with UofM.
http://vr.design.umn.edu/technology/
By Anestis
Miki Woodie wrote: On my machine the headset movement had been recognized properly. Not sure what problem you might have had.

You packed the project to an *.exe file,run it, press "O" and you had split screen and head tracking?
By stefan
I've tested the Dive library for Unity for a cheap Google Cardboard app and with a simple preset-object, I get head-tracking inside a real-time scene.

Cardboard > starting at $10

Head-tracking library for Unity (works on Android & iOS) > free
https://www.durovis.com/sdk.html

Currently have a problem that the Cardboard requires a larger smartphone than my 3.5" iPhone 4S, but I'm tweaking it. Could also run on the iPad screen.

With Oculus Rift demo's I tried, Headtracking was easy, but movements was still through a game controller (e.g. Xbox or PS3/4).
By filipp
We, too would very much like to see Oculus DK2 support in BIMX Viewer. Currently we are testing a workflow built around Rhino and Unreal Engine 4 (free as of yesterday, btw) - AC17 > Rhino > UE. The results look good, but it's quite a bit of work.
By stefan
And since yesterday, the new release of Unity 5 now has most Pro features in the Personal Edition too. If you are a small company (<$100.000/yr) you can develop Oculus Rift applications with it too. Formerly, the Oculus Rift required the Pro-edition of Unity.

Interesting times.
By KatalinBorszeki
Hi! Please look at this video on the Zeiss Cinemizer!

There are a lot of glasses out on the market but a lot of them are at an experimental or beta stage. the Zeiss is what we can accomodate as of now!
By Hobocop
KatalinBorszeki wrote:Hi! Please look at this video on the Zeiss Cinemizer!

There are a lot of glasses out on the market but a lot of them are at an experimental or beta stage. the Zeiss is what we can accomodate as of now!

The Zeiss has pretty poor technical spec's compared to Oculus. 500p resolution and 30 degree FOV... Oculus' current developer kit is 1080p with 100 degrees FOV and the added bonus of positional head tracking. Oculus also has an established user base and is gearing up for a large commercial launch... it really doesn't make sense to support Zeiss when Oculus is so far ahead in every way.