The Global ARCHICAD Community

Stay informed. Get help. Share your knowledge.

Tips and tricks, suggestions, problems. (regularly monitored by GSHQFAdmin)

Moderators: ejrolon, Barry Kelly, Karl Ottenstein, LaszloNagy, gkmethy, apolgar, GSHQfadmin

By B.E.A.T.
Hi,

my current ARCHICAD-TALK username has references to my previous company-name. I would like to change my username, but this doesn't seem to be possible in the 'profile editor'.

Did I miss something? Or should I create a new user account?
By LaszloNagy
User Names can be modified only by the Site Admin, who is me.
What is the new User Name you would like to have?
By Karl Ottenstein
The ac-talk Etiquette still says:

When registering there are four required fields: username, e-mail address, location and password.
To be able to identify each other it is necessary to register with your real name (example: Laszlo Nagy). If you register with a nickname you will be prompted to change it.

yet, most users do choose a nickname that has no association with their real name. And many use strange locations (which makes it hard to know which localized version they need assistance with). So, a related question is... should the etiquette page be changed, or should it be enforced?

http://archicad-talk.graphisoft.com/html/etiquette.htm
By ~/archiben
Karl Ottenstein wrote:...or should it be enforced?

what about those of us who registered before the etiquette page was put up Karl?! :D
By s2art
I've got no problem with nicknames, but some locations, while trying to be clever, don't achieve much.
By LaszloNagy
Well, the this part of the Etiquette has never really been enforced. I don't know why but I guess at the beginning it was not enforced as there was no person checking each and every registration for correct name.
I don't think we can enforce it now, we would have to ask thousands of people to provide a new User Name which I would have to modify manually one by one.
So I don't think this will be done.
By Karl Ottenstein
~/archiben wrote:
Karl Ottenstein wrote:...or should it be enforced?

what about those of us who registered before the etiquette page was put up Karl?! :D

It's actually been there from the start. Just never enforced. :-)

I sympathize with the many users who want anonymity, as with other product support forums. Avoids anyone feeling bashful about asking what they fear might be a naive question. Better good discourse and learning than having to admit we are who we are, I think. :-)
By Karl Ottenstein
laszlonagy wrote:So I don't think this will be done.

So shouldn't the Etiquette be edited to reflect the reality? :-)
By LaszloNagy
Well, that is a good question.
I would say that this paragraph can stay in the Etiquette, but if a User does not comply, it will not be enforced.
However, I will consult GS about this and ask them what to do about it.