The Global ARCHICAD Community

Stay informed. Get help. Share your knowledge.

Label, Text, Dimension, Markers...

Moderators: ejrolon, Barry Kelly, Karl Ottenstein, LaszloNagy, gkmethy

What's your opinion about this wish?

Essential (5)
100%
Important (4)
No votes
0%
Average (3)
No votes
0%
Not important (2)
No votes
0%
Not needed (1)
No votes
0%
By Gus
Editing text could be streamlined a bit.

When we want to change text in a text box now (6 steps):
1) We click on text box to activate it
2) We right click to get the pop-up list of options
3) We select the "Select & Activate Tool" option
4) We click within the text box to get the text box editing window
5) We select the text we want to edit
6) We finally edit the text
* I realize that one step can be removed by "right-clicking" as a first step instead of a second step, however, most people use the left click first because most editing is done by left-clicking, so it's a common habit.

An improved way to change text in a text box (only 3 steps):
1) We click on text box to activate it, and when it's activated, a small window opens up in the corner or top of the screen.
2) We select the text we want to edit in that window.
3) We edit the text

And just like in the existing method:
If we want to use one of the other options for editing the text box, we can right-click and chose one of those other options.
By Barry Kelly
1) If Quick Select option (magnet) is active just double click the text.
If Quick Select is not active then hold the space bar and double click the text.

2) Edit away.

Barry.
By Gus
Awesome!
Thank you so much.
It's only taken me 12 years to learn this trick!

This is a perfect example of a thing that could be aided by more "hover notes." I've always felt like there should be more information (or different amounts of information based on settings) when one hovers over a task. For example, when hovering over a text there is a "hover message" that is about 2 lines of information long. It could easily say right there that if I press space bar + double click, I can jump to text editing. This type of learning while you work could be implemented throughout the program so that people pick up on tips that are pertinent to what they are doing then and there. These "tips" could be controlled in settings if needed so that there was an "advanced level" or "middle level" or "beginner level."

Anyway.
Thanks again.
By Barry Kelly
I only just learnt the other day that when in the text editor you can triple click to select all text.
If you triple click on the text it will select just that paragraph.
But if you have multiple paragraphs then triple click in front of the text and it will select all.
Double click is similar but it will be just select a word if you double click on a word and the paragraph if in front of the text.
Single click will move the cursor if over a word and will select just one line if in front of the text.

Barry.
By LaszloNagy
Barry, this triple click is not working for me the way you described.
Triple clicking always selects the paragraph for me, but never the whole text block. Only CTRL+A achieves that. I tried to click at every position imaginable in the Text Block but no luck. Could you show me where you click to achieve this?
By Barry Kelly
This is where I triple click.

Barry.
Attachments
triple_click.jpg
By Barry Kelly
And triple clicking on the text.

Barry.
Attachments
triple_click_2.jpg
By Barry Kelly
If the text is left justified it is a little harder but can still be done.

Barry.
Attachments
triple_click_3.jpg
By LaszloNagy
Thanks Barry, it is working now. Yes, my text was left justified so it was trickier to do. I needed to watch carefully the shape of the cursor changing to a right-pointing Arrow (as opposed to the normal left-pointing Arrow shape) and then triple click. Not very easy as there is only a 1-2 pixel wide area where this Arrow shape is available. But it is working now.