The Global ARCHICAD Community

Stay informed. Get help. Share your knowledge.

Modelling and drafting in ARCHICAD. (Example: How can I model a Roof soffit/fascia?)

Moderators: Barry Kelly, Karl Ottenstein, LaszloNagy, ejrolon, gkmethy

By Einar Wahlstrøm
Hi.

I'm struggling with how to make a roof ridge that is not horizontal. I'm just beginning this BIM model and will naturally be working on it for the next 2-3 years so the solution has to be practical in terms of future skylight, sections...

What is the best way to approach this?
Attachments
screenshot.jpg
By Erwin Edel
Unless the gutter is sloped as well or your building footprint is not a rectangle, you will have to bend or curve the roof planes to do that.

If you do want a sloped gutter or a trapezium footprint, the ridge will be sloped.

Build your model with cardboard and you will see how the roof planes work.
By Erwin Edel
If you want to re-invent the rules of geometry, I'm not stopping you :wink:
By Erwin Edel
Your roof pivot lines need to form a trapezium shape, that is the only way you will make that shape, without splitting that triangle in to two triangles or twisting the roof in to a curved shape.
By Einar Wahlstrøm
Thank you, both of you.

I was hoping there would be a solution where I could use the multi-plane roof, and easily adjust the angles as the project develop. It seems I have to use single-plane roofs, which is OK, but a bit more work...
Attachments
screenshot.jpg
By Stephen Dolbee
If your roof planes are not parallel with each other, your ridge will not be horizontal. It will slope up or down.
By Einar Wahlstrøm
Yes, the multi-plane does that...

Unfortunately the moment the footprint becomes something else than a rectangle the top ridge point is un-movable? That is very inconveniant at such an early stage...but probably because of geometry constraints.
Attachments
screenshot.jpg
Last edited by Einar Wahlstrøm on Mon Oct 16, 2017 6:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.