The Global ARCHICAD Community

Stay informed. Get help. Share your knowledge.

Label, Text, Dimension, Markers...

Moderators: Barry Kelly, Karl Ottenstein, LaszloNagy, ejrolon, gkmethy

Add the View Name/Title as a general attribute which would be available to any expression

Essential
82%
Important
18%
Average
No votes
0%
Not Important
No votes
0%
Not Needed
No votes
0%
By poco2013
I would the see the view name or title be made available as a attribute within expressions. With this attribute available one could configure a common label that would change the info displayed depending on the view the object was in and what object the label was attached too. Therefore, a window label could display certain info in a plan but more or less info within a elevation or section.

This is already possible based on object type. Making the view title also available would increase the versatility and permit the configuration of a "one label fits all " mode
By LaszloNagy
So basically you want Expressions to be able to use more context-based Properties?
I like that idea, so I say Essential.
By Tomek Piatek
LaszloNagy wrote:
Sun Oct 21, 2018 1:12 am
So basically you want Expressions to be able to use more context-based Properties?
I like that idea, so I say Essential.
Context-based properties would be super useful. For example, I'd like to be able to create properties that can refer to the "current level", not a specific level whose name I have to enter explicitly, but the level that this object/element are hosted on. Each object already "knows" a bunch of stuff about itself, we just need to be able to get to those properties.

One way this could be done conveniently, at least for expression based properties, is with the introduction of the "dot notation" where you could say stuff like "this.name". The "this" component is a way of referring to oneself, and the "name" part is the name attribute of "this". If you're familiar with programming concepts then this will make perfect sense.