The Global ARCHICAD Community

Stay informed. Get help. Share your knowledge.

Modelling and drafting in ARCHICAD. (Example: How can I model a Roof soffit/fascia?)

Moderators: ejrolon, Barry Kelly, Karl Ottenstein, LaszloNagy, gkmethy

By Michael Gia
Erwin Edel wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 1:15 pm
We don't even model the plaster on the walls. I'm just a simple bachelor degree engineer though, so certainly not a real architect by our national standards :lol:

I want the shell of the building in my drawings, that's what I need for dimensions for the contractor. Trim and finishes are in the 2D detail drawings.
If I didn’t have clients who want to see finishing I also wouldn’t include trimming or floor finishes. I build a model for two reasons; one to show my client what they’re buying and the other to generate construction documents.
By Erwin Edel
Michael Gia wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:25 pm
Erwin Edel wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 1:15 pm
We don't even model the plaster on the walls. I'm just a simple bachelor degree engineer though, so certainly not a real architect by our national standards :lol:

I want the shell of the building in my drawings, that's what I need for dimensions for the contractor. Trim and finishes are in the 2D detail drawings.
If I didn’t have clients who want to see finishing I also wouldn’t include trimming or floor finishes. I build a model for two reasons; one to show my client what they’re buying and the other to generate construction documents.
Sadly for our ussual well to do clients with large (1000-2000 m³) homes it seems 'required' to get an interior 'architect'. So most of the time we are stuck with not designing the interior (and thus not creating renders of this).

In my (biased) opinion an interior 'architect' is just a furniture designer with a bachelor degree in arts and often very little knowledge of building materials or regulations, but it is what it is.
By Mike D
I have added baseboard to complex profiles and they get "cut" at the door, but since the baseboard is part of the wall, the door casing does not cut through the baseboard and the baseboard goes behind. see pic.
Screen Shot 2020-05-22 at 2.35.41 pm.png
in the profile i have tried setting the baseboard as core, finish, other to see if it makes a diff. it does not.
By Braza
On the Profile Editor, Check for: Design Layers > Opening Reference, and turn it on. Then place these reference lines between the baseboard and the wall face.
Hope that helps.
By Mike D
Braza wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 9:26 am
On the Profile Editor, Check for: Design Layers > Opening Reference, and turn it on. Then place these reference lines between the baseboard and the wall face.
Hope that helps.
Thanks. Turned them on, but moving opening ref lines between baseboard and wall face did nothing. Baseboard still tucked in behind casing as pictured in the previous post.
By Braza
Ok. Then I'd check frame width inside door settings. It must my set to "Custom" instead of "Fit Wall thickness".
That is what come to my mind for now.
By Steve Jepson
a different way to do this is to use the Molding Straight 23 object. I like it because I an set the Resolution high enough to make very smooth curves. I always hate the no-smooth curves you get with things like a complex profile and other objects in a Section detail. Also I find it convenient to use with the Interactive Schedules.
By Mike D
Braza wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 6:42 pm
Ok. Then I'd check frame width inside door settings. It must my set to "Custom" instead of "Fit Wall thickness".
That is what come to my mind for now.
Thanks. Setting to custom or frame= wall thickness makes no difference either.

I am an archicad rookie, so it could be one of the hundreds of door settings.
By Braza
I checked the symbolic 2d representation and it is ok, but the projected is not... Looks like a bug. :?
Check if it happens with other doors. :?:
By James B
The opening takes the Wall thickness where the Anchor is.
Try changing the Anchor, Header to Wall Base instead of Still to.