The Global ARCHICAD Community

Stay informed. Get help. Share your knowledge.

Import/Export to other CAD/BIM formats (DWG/DXF, IFC, SketchUp, 3DS etc.), spreadsheets, databases etc.

Moderators: Barry Kelly, Karl Ottenstein, LaszloNagy, ejrolon, gkmethy

By Mats_Knutsson
Sometime things get me really confused.
When exporting a door to ifc the summary says Operation Type is SINGLE_SWING_RIGHT. Well the door is left swing which is clear in the Orientation. I have a feeling 99% of people look in the summary and...ok its a right swing...

How can this be? I mean the door and not the people...:)
//Vacation mode Mats
By Steve Jepson
I would say it's the people not the door :)
By stefan
IFC Swing Orientation is based on US-convention. Some countries have a different convention, e.g. the DIN standards are opposite to US-standards on this matter!

See discussion https://forums.buildingsmart.org/t/door ... nenum/1416
stefan wrote:
Mon Aug 05, 2019 11:08 am
IFC Swing Orientation is based on US-convention. Some countries have a different convention, e.g. the DIN standards are opposite to US-standards on this matter!

See discussion https://forums.buildingsmart.org/t/door ... nenum/1416
THANKS Stefan! Really appreciate this :)

To the issue: How daft! Totally unsmart. We get ridiculed for showing the wrong orientation as seen in the Identification folder in Solibri.... We have created a project specific folder with correct properties which is the only folder that is supposed be in use but when the IFC model is accessible on the project server to everyone...guess 95 of the people looking at the model doesn't know which folder to use but looks at the first one...100% understandable.
/Mats
By Steve Jepson
The frame of reference is the same for everyone – the hinge side.
What is different about the nomenclature DIN/ISO/USA...is what is being describing relative to that.
“Handing of the fittings” as some say it, the Door Frame, the Door Panel, the Door Swing, Handing, Orientation…. there is no correct or incorrect nomenclature but every Schedule should indicate the nomenclature Standard being used. It does not take up that much space on a sheet to add a door handing (if you will) diagram near the schedules. And it would be a good idea to have those diagrams include the nomenclature being used for Frames as well. For me, I can usually get by with the Manufacturer's Make and Model number which is all the reference I need besides my own Door ID numbers.
Steve Jepson wrote:
Tue Aug 06, 2019 5:10 pm
The frame of reference is the same for everyone – the hinge side.
What is different about the nomenclature DIN/ISO/USA...is what is being describing relative to that.
It's unfortunate.
We want to move on with our collaborative BIM-processes and one of the targets is to get rid of unnecessary outputs of which door/window schedules are good examples. We deliver only the IFC-model and have added additional properties given us from the door manufacturer. We have a good internal process but BIM is collaborative by nature and we want to create processes together with the builder and the manufacturers.