The Global ARCHICAD Community

Stay informed. Get help. Share your knowledge.

Modelling and drafting in ARCHICAD. (Example: How can I model a Roof soffit/fascia?)

Moderators: Karl Ottenstein, LaszloNagy, ejrolon, Barry Kelly, gkmethy

I’m seeing some strange behavior in AC 23: Sometimes when I delete a layer the elements on that layer will remain visible in the floor plan. Highlighting one of these elements, its layer is noted as “missing” in the element settings menu and info box. Is this a bug or some new feature the logic of which completely escapes me?
Attachments
Layer issue.jpg
Is this neither a bug nor some new feature. I am used to seeing this case since Archicad 18 (but probably before) when I modify the structure of a file by abruptly removing certain resources. An example: when I delete a material, all the resources using this material are not erased but show "missing". It is very likely that the visible element on the missing layer has undergone a similar action.

You can find the same "alert" with graphic overrides or layer sets.
David Collins wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 1:17 pm
I’m seeing some strange behavior in AC 23: Sometimes when I delete a layer the elements on that layer will remain visible in the floor plan. Highlighting one of these elements, its layer is noted as “missing” in the element settings menu and info box. Is this a bug or some new feature the logic of which completely escapes me?

This seems a little odd to me.
Usually when you delete a layer, then all elements on that layer will delete as well, so long as you use the 'Delete elements' option.
Otherwise you have the option to keep the elements and move them to another layer.

This is the same whether you delete the layer from the layer settings or the attribute manager.

Is that line part of a module by any chance or is this a teamwork file?

Barry.
Attachments
layer_delete.jpg
Christophe Fortineau wrote: An example: when I delete a material, all the resources using this material are not erased but show "missing".

Layers have do not have the option to retain elements without changing their layer. Things like Materials and BMs on the other hand do.
Attachments
delete_material.PNG
Lingwisyer wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 2:39 am
Layers have do not have the option to retain elements without changing their layer.
Of course but it seems to be different into your file so I think there can be another way to make your layer missing. Like Barry said if your work with module or teamwork project...maybe you have an attribute conflict.
Thanks to everyone for looking into this. My memory is a little hazy now, but I believe I made some changes to the layer structure on this drawing with the attribute manager and that might have scrambled things a bit. I’ll report back if I see this problem again.