The Global ARCHICAD Community

Stay informed. Get help. Share your knowledge.

Any 2D tool what you need for drafting.

Moderators: Karl Ottenstein, LaszloNagy, ejrolon, Barry Kelly, gkmethy

Gap at Corner or Wrap?

Gap
1%
Wrap
99%
Again, autocad does this, we need to have this too! It makes for better 2D printed graphic qualities, a box drawn with a dashed line with gaps on corners looks nowhere near as good as when the dashes wrap - and this must apply to all 347 conditions in the model, not just once, which is why shifting the linetype isn't a satisfactory workaround....!
how do you control it though? do you squeeze the gap/dash proportions, or introduce a 'linetype origin' in the way that fills also have origins?

not disagreeing, just wanting to know how the solution you propose to deal with it works . . .

~/archiben
how does autocad do this? by shifting dashed lines so that line falls on corners preferentially, on as many corners as possible given the spacing? or by placing a corner 1/2 the dash length on all corners wherever the rest of the dashes fall?

I will check and post again...
Again, the point of a poll is not "do you want this" it's "do you want this badly enough to to forego other requests."

I doubt anyone would say they prefer the "gaps" at the end, but how badly do they want the alternative?

Leave the default options!
Oh yes please.

I am gradually working through all my line types (and all the scaled variations of them) and editing them so that they begin with a dash instead of a gap.

This solves the problem, but on short lines it sometimes removes all the gaps as well!
Why would anyone choose to have a gap? This being the case, why not have archicad draw it this way as a default? Oh, the hungarian mind sometimes puzzles me! :o
Dashed lines that do not meet at the end are universally recognised as bad draughtsmanship. In the old days they even crossed a little, like all line junctions.

Until reading this subject I hadn't realised that it was actually the ArchiCAD default. This is hard to understand, since it always gives drawings a characteristic (and unwanted) limpness. Meanwhile I'll take up Keith Jaw's clever tip.

Iain